KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Changed thermostat and heating element on Bosch washer

Changed thermostat and heating element on Bosch WAA28165GB/24 washing machine, after machine was heating up/boiling water. Same problem occurred after new parts fitted. Shorted out electrics before and after parts replaced

Pump and motor working.

Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just answer ... if the heating element or the thermostat is bad the water will not heat at all ... overheating is caused due to a bad NTC or a bad control board or wiring connection ... have you already checked and replaced the temperature sensor not the heater thermostat as I think this is causing the problem ?________________________________________________________________________________________If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you .. Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I originally thought, after extracting the heating element, which was heavily calcified (tenant had apparantly not used the 'Calgon' supplied), that this was the main cause of the water boiling. Yes, I also replaced the NTC Temperature sensor along with a new heating element (bought from 'espares', Genuine Bosch parts) - Result, water still boiling...

I missed out (possibly) an important detail.... There were fine black 'soot' like deposits on the drum ledge under the thermostat wiring and black 'spatters' on the back panel directly opposite the thermostat. Fine spread of 'soot' thoughout, although not heavy. No apparant burning to wiring any wiring or connections.

Was thinking about replacing the control board and wiring to NTC and to element in case of additional faults caused when machine shorted out after 'repairs' but have held fire until I get a 'continuity meter (from 'Maplins') and before this seeking advise as now. If it means a new control board (or 'ME 55E power board'), plus NTC, thermostat and wiring (after checking continuity) then O.K. with that (will go direct to 'Bosch' for spares next time). Hate to throw out, as I almost did.

If the NTC is replaced and wiring looks fine the problem is with the control board that will need replacement.