George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I fitted a new grill element to a Belling Db3 dual fuel

Hi I fitted a new grill element to a Belling Db3 dual fuel cooker and it started heating up fine then tripped the RCD at the mains fuse box. Now it doesn't heat up and every time the grill is turned on it trips the mains power. Any ideas what is causing this? Thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me the model of the appliance please.. also, can you tell me if it trips when the oven is on?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George. The cooker is a Belling platinum db3 dual fuel cooker. The cooker only trips when the grill is turned on. When the new element was fitted the grill operated for a minute, it heated up then tripped the RCD. Now it trips whenever the grill is turned on. Strangely, if the grill element is connected out with the body of the cooker, it heats up without tripping the RCD
you will find the model number on a label on the surround of the oven..

What do you man by "if the grill element is connected out with the body of the cooker, it heats up without tripping the RCD"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George ,if I put element on a box outside the cooker and connect wires from cooker to the terminals of the element ,the element heats up fine when you turn on grill and doesn't trip RCD .When I fully install the element into cooker it trips the RCD when on .
Then Hilary, if you connect the earth from the cooker to the earth tab of the element, or to the backplate of the element, you will find that it will also then trip whilst out of the cooker enviroment...

In this case, the element that you have fitted has an insulation fault. This is a common occurance which happens when elements are stored in damp conditions.

Return the element to the retailer for an exchange.

regards
George

Please rate the assistance given by me & feel free to ask further on this issue if you feel you need to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi George ,thanks for info and hopefully the next one will be ok
You're very welcome Hilary...

Please rate the assistance given by me