Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a samsung fridge freezer model number SRS2026cvw. It

Customer Question

I have a samsung fridge freezer model number SRS2026cvw. It is 10+ years old and has never had a problem until now. The refrigerator side is not settling at the target temperature of 4 degrees. I have changed the thermostat with a new replacement part but to no effect. I have also cleaned the dusty/furring in the grates at the back. There are no leaks. Also the refidgerator does cool but only to about 10 degrees and at times the temperatures fluctuates. Sometimes also the electronic display suggests it has reached the desired 4 degrees but it hasn't ( I have put a thermometer inside to check). Note the freezer side is working fine.
What can the cause be?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Which thermostat did you replace?

Also have removed the evaporator panel inside the fridge at the bottom so see if this was all iced up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the thermostat that is located behind the blue circle. I did not see any ice in behind the panel that I removed to get access to the thermostat. I did not remove the bottom panel. Please advise.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok empty the freezer and then at the botto half of the fridge is a panel that you can remove.Theres 2 screws at the very bottom of it.If you have a water bottle there then you need to relese this as well.Then remove the vent covers you will see and theres another screw in there.Then remove the center light bar that runs up the back of the fridge.Then you can remove the plastic panel in the bottom half of the fridge from there. Behind there is the evaporator and fan. I think you will find this willbe all iced up. If so use a hairdyer and melt all the ice in there.Then check the fan in the back panel and clear the ice from there as well. Then refit the panel and retry it and fingers crossed this will get the fridge going again from there. As when it only gets to about 10 degs this is usually down to ice in the back panel jamming the fan up which causes this. Try that and see what you find and let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Just to make sure I understand. It is the fridge not the freezer that I am checking. Your reply says empty the freezer. Is it the fridge you are referring to?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry yes i ment the fridge section on this and not the freezer.

As these samsung side by side appliances have there own evaporators in the fridge and freezer. so its the fridge section you need to do.Laughing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I have removed the cover at the bottom. There was about 5mm of ice at the bottom in a metal tray looking unit at the bottom . No ice remains in the fridge. Shall I refit or is there anything else I need to check first?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats the drain channel. Make sure thats fine and also make sure the fan in the back panel is free and turning ok.

If thats all fine then refit it and see how it goes from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks . I have refitted and just turned back on. Fingers crossed. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries. You should notice the difference in a few hours and hopefully it will be cold then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

this has not worked . The fridge reached 11 degrees and no lower. I have opened again and the bottom is again icing up. Can you advise please

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ive only just come online. Is the fan free to turn and is running. As for this fault its usually the fan iceing up and not running which causes this issue were the fridge isnt getting cold in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the fan located inside the unit that I removed did not have ice in it. I can move it with my finger. It is free to turn.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so when fitted back into place and the fridge is running can you hear it running? It will only run when the door is closed so close the door and listen very carefully or push the door switch in (if your model has one) and see if the fan runs then. As if the fan isnt running then thats the fault. As its free to turn then its not iced up so its possibley a faulty fan there which would need to be replaced. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can hear a motor noise on each side when opening each door in turn . Should a fan sound like a normal fan would/should. Silly question perhaps but I am trying to distinguish the sound of motors from what avfan might sound like.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
The fans on these are quite slient to be honest so you need to listen verycarefully inside. Another way of doing this as ive done in the past is film it on your mobile. Send it recording and place it inside the fridge near the bottom near the back and this should pick up the sound of the fan running once the door has closed, Then you will know. As like you said theres a fan in the freezer, One at the back one in the fridge and a compressor at the back as well. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. I can hear the fan coming on when I shut the fridge door. The motor running background noise is increased when I shut the door. I hear a click sound about 2 -3 seconds after I shut the door and then a faint but detectable whirring sound bit is at a higher pitch Tha the motor sound

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the fan is working then it mustn't be cooling properly on the evaporator. Remove the plastic cover again and check the evaporator unit and check there frosting all over it too to bottom as if there isn't let me know. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I will be in touch later this PM when back from work.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries thats fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Just opened the unit again. The top of the evaporator is furred up. By this I mean the top metal bar of the evaporator metal grid. The wires are lightly furred also. In addition the ice tray as ice building up again and the lower part of the cover unit that houses the fan has some ice build up. Does that help in any way?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok when you get the furred ice on the top this is because the fan motor isnt running so it losses the air flow and this is what causes the furred ice at the top and this is why the fridge isnt cooling. Im pretty sure the fault on this is the fan isnt running inside the freezer as theres no airflow thats why its doing all this. So if theres no ice building up inside the back panel and the fan is free then its possibley a faulty fan motor in there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. So you think I need to replace the fan? I am happy to order a replacement part but please confirm that is what you mean?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thats what its looking like. As from the fault and things you have found its all pointing to the fan motor in the fridge. As you can see im not there to say its 100 per cent the fan but from the sounds of whats going on here thats the part i would order and replace to fix this. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sure. Let me try that. I will let you know how I get on.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries fingers crossed that sorts it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry just to check. Is it the fan motor I need or the blade. I think it is the motor but wanted to double check.

thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Yeap its the motor itself you will need.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.