George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Caple Wi6123 wine cooler. It is coming up with

Hi. I have a Caple Wi6123 wine cooler. It is coming up with an E4 error code on the left display. I have read that this error related to the defrost sensor. As the wine cooler has two of these sensors (one for the top and another for the bottom), i switched them over to troubleshoot and make sure that the problem is with the sensor. Even when I swap them over, the error still shows on the left display, so I think the problem lies somewhere else. Any ideas? Thanks.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

If the sensor is working correctly but it is not sensing the temperature it is looking for then the warning will appear..

1. Is the temperature of the area where the sensor is cooling enough...
2. Is the PCB faulty and not reading the sensor

I do not have any diagrams of this appliance so cannot point you closer to the problem unfortunately.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George

1. On your first point, do you mean that I would see this error if the temperature is above the temperature I have set? If so, why do I not see the same error on the other display for the bottom half of the cooler?

2. Possibly. How do I determine if the PCB is faulty beyond the troubleshooting I have done?

Hi Don,

Can you tell me on this appliance where the two sensors are mounted so that I can give you a more informed opinion.

You need the tech specs of the sensors to test sensors.. but, you could see if they bot give you identical readings with a multimeter.

To test the board you would need to know the output from the sensor connections.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are both mounted on the right inside the unit, one for the top cooling area and another for the bottom. Here is link to the sensor on their site: http://www.4caple.co.uk/sensor/product.pl?pid=1354255&query=wi6123.

I'm pretty sure that the sensors are both OK, because if I switch them over, the problem doesn't move from the top to the bottom, I still have the error code for the top. The same applies if I switch over the sensors connections on the PCB, the error code continues to relate to the top chamber.

Here's a link to the PCB: http://www.4caple.co.uk/pcb-board/product.pl?pid=1954798&query=wi6123.

I don't really want to purchase a new PCB unless i can verify that it is indeed the PCB at fault (assuming its not the sensor, and somehow my troubleshooting method is flawed).

Don, what makes you think that they are defrost sensors rather than just temperature sensors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They may well be temperature sensors rather than defrost sensors. I referred to them as such, as they were referred to as such in other posts on the internet that I found on this site. There is very little useful information in the user manual or on the internet on Caple units from what I could find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I'm just going to order a replacement PCB, as i can't see what else could be the cause given the troubleshooting. Thanks for your help.