Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Indesit IWD7145S will not start any cycle. Went faulty tripping

Customer Question

Indesit IWD7145S will not start any cycle. Went faulty tripping the MCB but not plug fuse! Door lock not at fault as system knows door is locked, have also cleaned out drain pump. Put machine on drain cycle (2 mins) to try and make it do something but just counts down and then 'End' and end light just flash continuously. Door will only release after power to the machine has been turned off. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Is the washer still tripping the electrics out?

Do you get an error code comming up on the display F??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply.

Machine not tripping power now, no fault code displayed though.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok if you set the washer going on a wash cycle what actually happens?

Will the pump run at the start?
Does any water enter the washer?
If so then will the drum start to turn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Machine does nothing on any cycle, it will count down so put on drain cycle which is only 2 minutes to see what would happen. In short nothing, once it has counted down end light flashes continuously and does not release door. Only way to release door is to turn off main power.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Ok i think you may find this could be worn brushes in the motor.

Pull the washer out and remove the back panel.
From there you will see the motor.
Remove this and at the back you will see the carbon brushes. Take them out and see if they have worn down. If so then you need to replace them and see if this cures the fault from there.

But if the carbon brushes are fine then you need to check the door lock.
Remove the top and remove the door lock and inspect the wiring on the lock. Check to see if this has burnt out. As what can happen is the door locks but because the wiring has burnt it doesnt start the wash cycle. In this case the door lock will need to be replaced and the wiring repaired.

Check them 2 out first and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

I did replace the door lock as this was initially at fault. With the top off the machine you could hear it buzzing faintly as it tried to release. The only way to get the old lock off was to break it in two in situ as it was never going to release.

Once off though with the top off the electric part of the mechanism I could see that part of the switch inside had come away and welded itself to another part. Hard to explain without being able to send you a picture of it. This short may have been what caused the power trip in the first place.

Interestingly I did also check the harness and there was no obvious damage on it.

Will order the wiring harness that goes from the lock to the ECU and also check the motor brushes.

Just as a question though would, as the lock light comes on I thought the system would know that the door was locked? Would a fault on the harness still cause the machine not to work even with the lock light on?

Cheers,

Mark.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Arhh didnt relise you had already replaced the lock because it failed.

If you did then im afraid the main control board at the back has failed. Forget the brushes as it wont be them.

Remove the back panel and you will see the control board on the back left corner.
Remove the board and open the plastic casing and remove the board from there.

Inspect it and see if theres any burning on the here. As the door lock has more then likely blown the control board as you will see were it has burnt.

If so then you need to replace the control board and have it programmed up. The cheapest place is this site i will send a link to. As they sell refurbished boards that come programed ready to fit. As new boards are sold blank so need to be programmed up. So to buy the stuff to so this isnt even worth it. So the refurbished board is the best option.

Click here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

Many thanks for that.

I had in my mind that the main control board may have been damaged when the machine first went wrong. It would make sense if the door lock caused a short circuit.

I did take it off to see if there was anything obvious on the outside casing but will inspect it more thoroughly and order a refurbished board.

Appreciate all your advise here so thanks for your time.

Will let you know the outcome!

Cheers,

Mark.

(You may need to reply to this so I can give the rating).

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

Check the board and see what you find as its usually the trica on the board that blows so see what you find.

The rating button is on the bottom of this answer. It doesnt fully close the question as you can still come back to me on this even after rating.

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Daniel,

got new board today from EMW and just finished fitting and now machine doesn't even switch on!! Absolutely nothing!!

Could this be a duff board?

Cheers,

Mark.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.

If the washer isnt switching on at all with the new control board then its something to do with the board.
If you put the old one back on do the lights come on?

If so then its the control board at fault there so you need to return it to them and get them to swap it over.