Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Daniel, I have a Neff semi integrated dishwasher model no. S44TO9N3GB/06 which is 9 ye

Hi Daniel,
I have a Neff semi integrated dishwasher model no. S44TO9N3GB/06 which is 9 years old. The appliance is not cleaning the items and leaves residue on plates and marks within cups. I have cleaned the appliance with many solutions, including lemon, vinegar and dishwasher cleaners, but to no avail? Any suggestions please, before I have it replaced altogether? Les
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Does it seem to be getting hot during the wash and drying at the end?
Also does it seem to be more on the top or bottom basket or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes hot during the wash and the items do dry at the end.Both baskets.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its heating and drying then thats good.
Not sure if you have done this but remove both spray arms from the dishwasher and give them a good clean out. Poke something in the holes in there as what can happen is the holes block up so the arm doesnt spin and this gives poor wash results.
As a dishwasher to wash needs to heat and the wash motor to work, If they are working then its the arms are blocked up not spraying the water around inside thats casuing this.
Also just make sure theres nothing hanging on the top basket like an dishwasher freshner as this can stop the arm from turning.
Check the spray arms and give them a clean and make sure the holes are all clear and im sure that will sort the fault out for you.
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spray arms have been removed and checked. I have also run boiling water through them and they are clear as water runs through holes no problem. Nothing hanging to stop arm turning. Any other suggestions, please?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok what wash cycle are you using?
Are you using all in 1 tablets or powder and rinse aid?
If powder and rinse aid is the rinse aid topped up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hottest at 65 degrees - Intensive.Tablets, which now have be placed in basket as opposed to chamber as it sometimes stays in the chamber, during the cycle.
Rinse aid topped up.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if its heating and the spray arms are all clear then try this and see what happens.
Turn both spray arms so the face front to back.
Then close the door and start the dishwasher going on a wash cycle.
once it starts to wash carefully and slowly open the door and see if both the arms have moved position. Try it a few times and let me know what happens.
You dont have to do this now. You can do it the next time you use it and just post back here and let me know how it goes. As im online nearly every day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good advice...Bottom spray arm is moving, however top arm doesn't seem to have moved. Opened the door a few times now and it is still the same.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, just checked again and top arm has not moved.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that.
I know what this will be. The heater is faulty here. As inside the heater is a water diverter which diverts the water between the top arm and the bottom spray arm. If this fails or jam it only sends the water to one of the arms so then it gives poor wash results as the other arms doesnt turn to spray the water around.
To cure this the heater will need to be replaced. But this isnt going to be a cheap fix as the part itself is £135 and are a nightmare to fit yourself as you need to remove the tank from the base so is quite a strip down of the appliance. So if you add labour on this then you are looking near the £200 mark for it fitted. Which on a 9 year old dishwasher may not be worth it.
But from the fault you describe now the water diverter in the heater will be faulty and as this comes as a complete unit the heater will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK... nice one!I really appreciate your input. Just put it on an intensive wash to see if the same thing happens. I have booked a Neff engineer to attend my property on Thursday afternoon to rectify the problem.Thank you very much.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries. Fingers crossed they will have the part and sort it for you from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sods law...Now it is on the intensive wash, the top spray arm has moved...The display shows the sensors are working and the spray functions are active.Anyhow you have still been most helpful and I have taken up enough of your time and I think I have had my £22 worth of time.Sleep well...Les
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thats sods law. But ive known them to stick so tis more then likely the heater still.
So if you could rate the answer that would be great as the payment will go through then.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.