George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

HiI have a Samsung washer/drier WD0804WE. When drying,

Customer Question

Hi I have a Samsung washer/drier WD0804WE. When drying, fault HE2 came up. I have replaced both thermostats (twice). The stat with the reset button is OK, but the other one seems to cut it self out and does not reset ,even after a time when the machine has been turned of for a while. HELP!!!! Regards ***** *****

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello Chris, my name is George..

This is, as I'm sure that you are aware, a commom problem with the Samsungs. HE2 means that the heating element is not operating... This could be due to the failure of the heating element, but moreoften it is due to the fact that the thermal cutout has broken the circuit due to an overheat, a fault in the element itself, or a faault in the resistance of the thermistor that controls the element.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

Many thanks for your reply.

Your answer is nothing but common sense. It seem pretty obvious to me that the reasons you have stated is "why my machine does not work". You are not telling me what the causes of my problems are.

This seems to be a bit of rip of to me. You have cost me £20 to tell me something that is nothing but common sense, then you want another £7.15 to tell me something that I have already paid for, I don't think so.

So would you please oblige me and refund my £20

Many thanks Chris

Chris, you asked a question so I gave you the answer.. I told you why it doesn't work and then told you a few things that could cause the issue.. You have not come back to me to say (well I have tested this and got this reading)

Until you tell me what you have tested and what readings you got, I am working completely in the dark... And if as you state, my answer was "nothing but common sense", then you should have known what was causing the issue and how to deal with it yourself.

I am an engineer that is here to assist you.. I do not take payments or have anything to do with taking payments.
I am not here to be rudely barked at, or to be told "This seems to be a bit of rip of to me. You have cost me £20 to tell me something that is nothing but common sense" .. This is a two way street and you need to put in some information before you can get an answer out.

As stated above; the two main causes of the issue are:

1. A fault in the element
2. A fault in the resistance of the thermistor that controls the element

However, a blockage in the condenser or the heating compartment can cause the same issue.

Now, if you wish me to continue to help you then please say so... alternatively, if you wish me to request a refund for you then please comfirm you wish me to do this for you..

regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

Sorry for the delay in replying, But I have been unavailable. I am sorry that you feel I was being a bit short with you, but I have never used anything like this before. So when you asked me for more money, I thought that this is where I am going to be treated like a money kow.

I had thought about the element, but the heater does get hot, then the thermostat blows.but the the stat with the cut out doesn't,so thinking about it, maybe I should have explained myself better.

I would like you to continue with your help, but if I have to pay to talk to you, I will do without your assistance, and have a refund.

If that is the way it has to be, so be it, so may I thank you for the time you have spent with me.

Regards Chris

Thank you for responding Chris,

The secondary email is just an offer that is sent for persons that prefer either telephone assistance or documents such as wiring diagrams.. There is no necessity for you to accept one of these offers uless you wish to request such.

I will assist you as far as you need me or as far as I am able to advise you, taking into consideration your personal safety and, my capabilities of dealing with the issue from a distance.

Have you checked that the condenser and the heater box are clear of any blockages?
Also, have you got an insulation tester?

regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I have checked the heater box.Also cleaned out the fan. Is the condenser box the plastic fitting that goes from the heater box to the back of the drum? if so I have done this and all is clear. Before I retired, I was maintenance engineer and I have a C&G in electrical maintenance. An insulation tester is one of the tools that I've kept.

Regards Ckris

Ok Chris, yes, the condenser is the plastic fitting that you describe above. So all is now clear with the venting system....

You could now try the appliance again, but I would suggest checking the insulation on the heater element of the dryer before doings so. Also, as you restart the drying system, ensure that the dryer fan is operating.

Good luck
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi George

I bought another thermostat, and before fitting it I thought I would test it.I checked it out to make sure it was making a circuit, that was ok, so I heated it up until the circuit was broken, then the stat would not reset it's self. I was given another stat, which is non-standard to my machine, done the same test, and it reset it's self. so I fitted this to the machine and it works ok. I put a tester on the stat and watched it turn itself on and off to control the heater. The only problem is that the drier does not get as hot as it used to, so its taking a lot longer to do the same amount of drying. This is bringing me to the ridiculous thought that all the stats Iv'e bought are faulty, I have purchased them from three different places. Have you any thoughts on this?

Regards Chris

Chris.. On your model there is a resettable thermostat thermal limiter with a button on the back of it and there is a second TOC Thermal Overload Cutout that is not resettable, we call them a One Shot.. They are meant to be this way.. They are set for a particular temperature for safety.

regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

George. When the thermostat cuts out,you are saying that being a one shot part that it is no good any more, that explains why it would not reset. I understand this, but the thing that has me confused is;- The thermal limiter(the one with the reset button) should have protected the one shot thermostat (this has been replaced with a new one).

Not being sarcastic, be you have now come full circle,and come back to my original question. OK you have explained about the thermostats, but you have not explained what the cause of my problem is. you mentioned about the thermistor,and a couple of other things, but surely all these things must be OK for the machine to work with a non standard thermostat, maybe not at the correct temperature, but it proves that the heater etc works.

Would I be correct in assuming that you have no answer to my problem.

Regards Chris

Good morning Chris...

If you are using a One Shot that is set to 100 degs but the temp in the box is 120 degs then the One Shot will trip.. You need to get one with the correct value for the appliance that it is fitting to.

If the NTC controls the operation of the heater.. if it is faulty, it may not be regulating the operation of the heater; if this is the case then the heater will get too hot and therefore trip the One Shot.

I have written a short description of the differences between a One Shot and a Thermostat.. The are both thermal regulators / limiters, but in different ways. You need to be able to know how they work in order to understand what is going on.

The One Shot.. The One Shot thermal limiter is to prevent fire, so has a much higher temperature regulation than the Thermostat Thermal Limiter.. If the One Shot has tripped is is indicating that there is too much heat from the heater.
If a fire occurs at the heating element, then the One Shot will trip to turn off all power to the element. This trip of the One Shot can also be caused by a faulty NTC, insufficient ventilation of the heating element, blocked condensers, blocked heater boxes, dirty fan blades, water in the element box.

Thermostat Thermal Limiter.. The Thermostat Thermal Limiter is of a lower regulation and is resettable... This regulates the operating temperature whilst in use.

regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello George

Many thanks for your help. I am sorry that I've been slow in replying,but I have had other problems.

I won't be working on my machine for a while as I am away on holiday, When I get back all the parts that I have ordered should be here, then I will have another go, if I need any more advice I will be in touch.

.

Regards Chris

Ok Chris

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

George. Tried everything you suggested and my machine is still popping thermostats. So I guess its time to get an expert in, might be cheaper in the long run as I am spending a lot of money on thermostats. Many thanks for your help. Regards. Chris.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back Chris.. Hope you had a good holiday.

Thanks for keeping me up to date...

regards