Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I picked up on this query as it might solve the problem

Customer Question

Hi, I picked up on this query as it might solve the problem I'm having with an AEG Santo fridge freezer. I'm about to order the capacitor.
Having looked at the back of the fridge, I've found the small black unit into which the mains power and the capacitor leads go, but what I can't work out is the best way to disassemble that unit in order to fit the capacitor once it arrives.
Can you help with this? Thanks in advance.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number please of the appliance or better still the product number (pnc) it will be on a sticker inside the fridge behind the salad box and starts with a 9.
Also what is the appliance doing wrong to make you want to replace the start capacitor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an AEG Santo 3134 fridge freezer.*Exactly* as the previous customer posted, it is on occasion not cooling the fridge. The freezer is fine. The light comes on. Everything else is wonderful.As the previous engineer explained, one option is to try the condenser. It's a cheap part, although it doesn't seem to be readily available, but that's another issue.So, I've identified the part, located it on the appliance, and was curious to know how I might replace it. I could figure out my own way of doing it, but I thought someone who does this for a living would have a quicker and easier way of doing so.That was all there was/is to it.Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok the question you are looking at i dont see im afraid so i have no idea which question you are refuring too.
Is this an old model?
If so then is there 2 compressor at the back? If so then the fridge compressor that isnt running is it hot to touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me try again.1. Define 'old'. The fridge came with the house. The AEG Santo doesn't strike me as all that old.2. I attach a photograph of the back of the fridge.3. There is only one compressor. It is hot to touch.Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok its just the model you posted is bring up an old model that has 2 compressor which is 20 years old.
Are you able to find the product number on the sticker inside the fridge as this will allow me to bring up your model that you have.
Also im trying to find what the appliance is doing as you have told me yet.
Its just that the start capacitors never fail. Even if it does, To be honest the compressor will start without it.
Is there any cooling inside the fridge or freezer at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is a pic of the product label.The freezer is running perfectly throughout all of this. It has not once stopped. It has never, ever defrosted.The fridge is the issue. On two occasions I have noticed that it is not running cool. The solution in both cases is to pull the plug and plug it back in again. This doesn't always work first time.I have just dialled down the temperature a step from 5 to 4 and it has stopped running. Just like it should.However, dialling the temperature back up to 5 does not prompt it to start running again.Thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that ive got it now.
This model was actually made in 1997 so 18 years old.
But as to the fault as the compressor is hot and the freezer is running then it wont be the start capacitor thats the fault so there no point in replacing this at all as it wont make a difference what so ever.
What this will be is a system fault. Its either short of gas or more then likely a poor pumping compressor. For either of these you need to get a fridge engineer in as this isnt a diy fix. They will put there gauges on the back to see what level the gas is and what pressure the compressor is pumping at.
As you say the freezer is fine then its usually a poor pumping compressor. As it first pumps into the freezer and then up to the fridge section. If its a weak compressor then it struggle to pump up to the fridge section.
But the cost of this is expensive. As a compressor replacment is about the £250-300 mark and a regas is about £150. So on an 18 year old appliance it isnt even worth it.
Sorry its not good news but there no point in replacing the capacitor as that wont cure it. As the compressor is running so the capacitor is doing its job.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries, Your very welcome.