Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

My daughter has moved over the weekend and a Stanley range

Customer Question

my daughter has moved over the weekend and a Stanley range is the central heating boiler. we can't the CH to work, could you help please
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Hi , is there a clock/ programmer and or room thermostat? Check cupboards for programmer , thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried the thermostat and the clock is on a 24 hours settingGraham
Has the range been off for some time?
What fuel is it using ,ie gas or oil ,LPG?
Is it out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is oil, and nog sure it it has been used for some time. The cooker part seems to work as it gets hot and the burner fires up.Graham
OK , most likely the pump is stuck and or the system needs airing . this is typical for a system that hasn't been used for a while.
Does the stove heat the hot water as well? If it does , check if the pump is in the same cupboard.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going there in an hour so will check it then, thank you.Graham
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked the pump and it is definately not pumping. We seem to have about 15 -30 secs of burning then the violet switches off.Graham
Hi , I think the pump must have seized. The boiler fires, overheats then turns off .
There is a small bleed cap with a slot on the pump face if you undo that ( use a towel underneath to catch a little water ) and put in a screwdriver and spin the pump rotor. This sometimes get it going again temporarily.
However if that isn't something you feel confident in doing then , just replace the pump .
Hi , if happy with your answer would you mind rating it please ,thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was a small thermostat that worked on the pump, it was stuck. We did;t even know there was one. Many thanks.Graham
Your welcome , glad you got it going