George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Viera P42XT50B, it is a little over 3 years old, I

I have a Viera P42XT50B, it is a little over 3 years old, I usually leave it on standby. This morning there was a power cut (while it was on standby) and since reconnection the TV won't switch on. I tried the obvious such as change the fuse, I have also tested the power cable on another appliance and it works, but the TV light won't switch on and nor will it switch on if I try the power button on the rear side.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
There is a fuse on the PSU for this model... This is covered by the rear panel of the TV.. This fuse will have blown with the surge created when the power was switched back on.
If you ever have another power-cut, always switch off all electrical appliances to prevent surges from damaging electrical equipment within.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply, I will open it up this evening when I've finished work and have a look.
Ok, I look forward to hearing your results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over lunch, I opened it up. I gave it a bit of a vacuum as there was a reasonable amount of dust over the PSU. I have attached two pictures. One focusses on the fuse (which I haven't removed as the contacts are very tight and I don't wish to damage them), the other focusses on the whole board.
Ok, I can see 2 fuses that would cause an issue as they are both inside the power section.. The first one is the one you recognise as a fuse which is white with silver ends and is labeled F201.. The other is red and is labeled F202.
You need to check the continuity of both of those fuses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** would it be to remove F202 if that is the culprit? Obviously I am keen to avoid any irreparable damage.
F201 and F202 are both very easy to remove and replace with minimal soldering skills...
Just remove one leg of each and then use a multimeter to test for continuity. If continuity exists, then refit.. if no continuity exists then replace.
Make sure any replacement is for an exact value replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The F201 fuse appears to be fine. An electrician friend will come around tomorrow, he'll run some tests. Failing that I have found the exact board (B159-201) available to buy at a reasonable price, so at least if I can't get to the root cause then I know I can get a replacement part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If both fuses are functioning properly, are there any other known possibilities or common faults for it not working?
If a surge has transgressed the fuses (Highly unlikely), then the damage could be anywhere.
If the fault is not caused by a surge following the power-cut the fault could be caused by virtually any of the components within the Power Section (white barrier) on the board... Look for damage, blown chips, domed capacitors, bro***** *****nks, etc. Saying that, the damage may not actually be visible.
regards
Please rate the assistance given by me today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have resolved it, for now anyway. Yesterday lunchtime I only inspected the board but in the evening I disconnected everything and took the board out. I found a slight charring on one of the soldered connections and the pin of the component was loose. I cleaned it up a bit an re-soldered, now it works again. I didn't take a photo though.

Thanks for your assistance.