Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Bosch KGN34X61GB fridge-freezer won't work after a power

Hi, my Bosch KGN34X61GB fridge-freezer won't work after a power cut, the fridge interior light operates, but the fridge and freezer are not cool at all. Can you help please?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Can you hear the compressor at the back running.

If you feel it is it hot to touch?
And how long was the appliance off for?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the compressor is warm to the touch, I'm not sure how long the power was off

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Can you feel it running?
If you touch it if its running you will feel a slight vibrating noise do you hear this?
And can you hear the fan inside the freezer running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can feel it running for about 5 seconds, then it stops and there is a humming sound for about 4 seconds, then it runs again

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok when this happens its usually down to the compressor overload cutting out thats why its stopping like this and starting.

What you can try if youn havent already is remove the plug from the socket and leave it out 30 mins.
Then plug it back in and see what happens from there. It can take several mins before the compressor kicks but once it does then see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed this will sort it from there.

But if it doesnt and the compressor is still cuttin in and out then its more then likely the compressor itself faulty.

So try that first and see what happens and let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I've tried it out, but it's still cutting in and out, and the compressor is guite warm, I can only keep my hand on it for about4 seconds, is it time for a new appliance?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Im afraid its looking like the compressor is the issue here and a new one will be the better option here im afraid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, a ne compressor or new fridge-freezer? It's over 8 years old.

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i ment a new appliance as i dont personally think its worth spending that much money on an 8 year old appliance as a new compressor is about the £300 mark roughly fitted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help, I'll have to get a new one,

Cheers