George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Neff double oven, bottom oven light not working

Neff double oven, bottom oven light not working, changed bulb for a known good one, still no go. any ideas?

Everything else on the oven is working correctly.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you supply the ENR and FD from the rating plate at the edge of the oven please.

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

E NR is U17M72N0GB/08

FD is 9110 000112

Is this what you need?

Yes thank you Simon. If you remove the rear panel you can use a multimeter to check that power is actually getting to the holder.. If power is getting to the holder then you need to replace the bulb holder Part No #00650242

If there is no power to the bulb holder then check its wiring connection to the selector switch.. It is possible that the selector switch connection was damaged when the previous bulb blew.

Please rate the assistance given by me today & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I remove the rear panel from within the oven, or does the whole appliance have to be removed from it's housing?

The oven will need to be removed from its housing to to remove the panel on the outer rear of the oven.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The oven is in use at present so will wait until it cools and assess then get back to you.

Ok Simon..

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, I haven't forgotten you! Just haven't found time to do the job yet. How easy is it to remove the oven from its housing? I can see just two securing screws on the front edge next to the top oven, does it just slide out once these are removed and is it a one-man job or is it too heavy on your own?. Does the oven stand on legs or is it on a shelf?

Hi Simon, The two screws that you have noticed are the two that hold it into place as you suspected... Once these are undone, just slide the appliance toward you on the shelf on which it is sitting.. Sliding it out will be no problem, but if you are aged I suggest you get someone to assist.. The appliance is not a heavy one but it is awkward.

regards
George
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George. OK, I have removed the oven from its housing and removed the rear panel. It now seems that the bottom oven is not working at all, neither the oven, the grill, the fan or the light are working. The top oven, grill and light all work ok. The red "on" indicator on the front panel does not illuminate when the bottom oven is switched on and no heat is being generated in any setting. The horizontal cooling fan which you can see on the rear is working when either oven is switched on but apart from this the bottom oven is dead. I only have a simple circuit tester but with this I have found power at the top oven connections but nothing at all at any of the lower points.

Prior to removing the unit the bottom oven was working and only the light was inoperative. However now that the power has been temporarily turned off the other faults have appeared. Is it worth a repair or is replacement a better option. The oven is three years old.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cancel the last message!!

Clock wasn't set hence no power to oven. Have reset clock and now everything works EXCEPT the light. I could not see any access to the bulb holder while the rear panel was off, can it be accessed from inside or is more dismantling required.

The bulb holder is at the rear left hand corner of the oven, on the top of the main oven cavity, when looking at it from the rear... it may be hidden underneath the insulation. You will see wiring running to it; follow the wiring.

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George. Thanks for that. The good news is that everything is now working. Two hours ago I was looking at the thick end of a grand to replace it but thankfully it all worked out ok.

I couldn't get to the bulb holder without ripping out all of the insulation and didn't want to do that so I used a mirror and torch to look up into the bulb holder from inside the oven. What I found was the remainder of the old bulb stuck on the contact. The soldered contact and a chunk of the insulator were well and truly welded onto the bulb holder. I managed to get it free with a pair of long nosed pliers and a lot of swearing!

One new bulb later all is now good. Thanks for your advice and I will give a good rating now.

Cheers, Simon.