Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I have a Halstead Combi boiler (Wickes 2000). I had to replace

I have a Halstead Combi boiler (Wickes 2000). I had to replace the diaphragm on the diverter valave, but now I can only get hot water by turning on the heating and turning up the thermostat so that the boiler starts. I do not know what to do next?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , check the wires havnt come loose on any switches , as it seems the hot water microswitch isn't operating and turning on the boiler for hot water. Look at the diverter valve and as you open the hot tap ( get someone else to do it whilst you check if you can ) make sure the pin comes out far enough to make the switch .if it doesn't come out far enough check the diaphragm is fitted correctly. If it is you may have to change the whole diverter valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the pin and it does make the switch. I checked the installation of the diaphragm and the springs and they match the diagram that came with the spares. I have tried a number of connections and they seem secure. I need to identify the hot water microswitch. Can you help? Regards, Alan

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Sure , can you see a pin move out of the end of the diaphragm area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the pin has a top hat on it which makes two contacts on a switch above when the heating comes on.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
There will be one for the hot water as well . is your boiler the ace high or 102?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not know. It is listed as a Wickes 2000, Combi.

Regards,

Alan

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.

OK , if you take off that micro switch does the pin move out with hot water tap on ?. I'm trying to find the manual , not found it yet .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went home last evening to check following our conversation. The heating works ok. The pin stays down. when I turn on the hot tap the pin rises and connects to the two sprung loaded contacts on the switch above and the water gets hot.

I turn the heating off and the hot water tap on. the pin rises as before and connects to the two spring loaded contacts, but the water runs cold and the boiler does not fire up.

Hope that helps.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , Im pretty sure that there must a problem with the diverter valve as the heating flow should be separated from the hot water. When the hot water is on the diverter should pull over totally to the hot water circuit and you should get no heating . when you run the hot tap and heating do the radiators start heating up? That shouldn't be able to happen . pretty sure you will need to change the whole diverter valve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are right and it does. The radiators do not start heating till I stop running the hot water, but I need to start the boiler on the heating to get hot water. The diverter valve works as it should, I believe, but the boiler does not fire up when the heating is off and the hot water is turned on, even though the pin has risen up to press on the two contacts. The boiler only fires up when the heating is on and the thremostat is set above ambient.

Regards,

Alan

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , that's because the heating micro flow switch is firing the boiler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

IN which case what is the problem and how do I fix it?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Buy a new diverter valve and isolate the boiler and change CIT over.
Take off the microswitches, then undon the nuts , remove , replace, not the easiuest job , but too bad . it fairly straightforward once you start .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already repaired the diverter valve and it is working. So I had to call in a boiler engineer in the end. All he did was pack out the top hat with a bit of foil and the boiler fired. It seems that the rubber in the top hat had worn and was not pushing up enough to make one of the microswitches work. in essence your advice about changing the diverter valve would have cost much more and still not resolved the issue.

Regards,

Alan.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , if you look at my first answer to you, I asked you to check if the micro switch was making. To pack out the microswitch is a bit of a bodge but does the job. I'm sorry but I rely on you to be my eyes and ears as I can't physically be there.I'm glad you got it sorted but a new diverter valve probably would have enabled the pin to come out far enough to make the switch without foil . All the best , I hope you may give me a positive rating on my answer , thanks