Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I recently asked how to get my Hotpoint WF440 washing machine

I recently asked how to get my Hotpoint WF440 washing machine door opened after the door lock failed and the indicator not illuminating. I got the door opened after an expert solution. I also purchased a new door lock only to find the door lock and indicator still not working. My query is, is there another slot ion to getting the door lock and indicator to work?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

What actually happens when you start it going?

Is the door actually locking so you cannot open the door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The door locks but unable to open as before and no door lock indication on start up and open handle is floppy. Machine works fine otherwise.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok if the door locks but the washer isnt starting then belive it or not worn carbon brushes in the motor can causes this fault.

What you need to do is pull the washer out and lean it backwards and get someone to hold it for you.
Then lie down and look under the washer and there you will see the back of the motor.
There either side you will see the carbon brushes. Take them out and inspect them and see if they have worn down. If so then this can cause that fault you have.

Check them and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To repeat, the machine works fine when door is locked, but no "door locked" indication light when machine is switched on, and the handle on door is floppy which indicates the door lock is faulty or something related to the door lock. Everything else works find. I've had a new door lock fitted but door lock fault still exists.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Sorry a bit confussed now.

You did say the door locks so you cannot open it but the light isnt comming on to say its locked and does nothing.

But now you say when it locks it works fine. Is it intermitted?

What is it actually doing wrong for you.

If you close the door are you able to open it stright away?
When you close the door and start a wash cycle does the door lock so you cannot open it?
If it does lock but the light isnt comming on does it sit there doing nothing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how you're getting confused. Here goes, the door locks shut, and the machine will work as expected but no "door locked" indication when machine is started. When wash cycle is completed, I am unable to open the door because the handle flops about which means the door lock is defective. I then have to use the string/cord technique to get door open as demonstrated by an expert colleague of yours. I bought a new door lock and fitted it but no difference to the door situation - I am still unable to open door as described before. I need to know how to remedy the door lock fault because it seems to be more than what has been done so far.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if the door is locking and its completing the cycle ok then its not the door lock at fault. Plus you have already replaced it so you can rule out a faulty door.

If the door handle feels floppy then its more then likely the door handle has snapped.

If you get the door open again then pull the door handle and look at the metal door pin and see if it moves. If not then the door handle has snapped and will need to be replaced on there.

But if the door handle is fine then it will be the main control board at the back at fault. As for the door not to open it can only be the door handle, Door lock, Wiring to the lock or the main control board.

So just a though as well if you have replaced the lock was the old one burnt? Remove the wiring block and see if theres signs of burining on there. If so then you need to retag the wiring on there own and see if that cures it.

I was getting confussed as i wasnt getting the full story of whats happening. As you was working with another expert i dont see what you you telling each other as that would be on a different question you had opened so i only see what you have written on here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Daniel. Sorry not to have replied sooner. Based on your reply, the door lock pin is not broken so this points to the wiring and or control board. The wiring had no sign of burning when I changed the door lock, this only leaves the control board to get changed. Any idea of the cost of the control board?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Dont worry about getting back to me. Theres no rush on my side of this.

As to getting a new board you can try these. As they sell refurbished boards that come programed up ready to fit.

Click here

Contact them and they will sort you out as they come programmed up ready to fit onto your washer.