George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

George Allsorts. We have a NEFF gas hob with electric oven.

Hi George Allsorts. We have a NEFF gas hob with electric oven. My wife spilt coffee all over the hob, and now the ignition is clicking regularly (but more slowly than when you actually want to ignite). Any ideas? We've cleaned and dried everything. Thanks!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me what the ENR of the hob is please?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't know what an ENR is, but if you're aksing for the model number, the front cover of the manual says B14M42.3GB.

Thanks Paul,

The B14M42.3GB is the oven, not the hob..

The problem is going to be with either the switches, or with the ignition generator..

If you remove the knobs of the hob, there should be black removable seals underneath.. If you remove the seals, then use a hair dryer on a warm setting to dry any fluid within.. This would normally sort the problem; however, since this was a coffee spill I can't guarantee you are going to get away with it that easily.

Let me know how you get on with it...

Please also see if you can locate the model number for the hob itself

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm. It looked as if it was all integrated (there was no separate branding on the hob), but I've now found a separate user instructions for the hob. It seems to be Baumatic B62SS. There is no evidence that the coffee actually spilled on the knobs, but I've removed them anyway, and checked the seals underneath. They all look and feel OK, except that there's one missing altogether. (We've only just taken over this equipment, which was there in the house we moved into a week ago.)

Yes Paul, that is the hob...

Under those knobs, for that model anyway, is a string of switches, that is damp gets into them the problem you are having is caused.

Here is an image of what I am talking about..
graphic

Having said that.. If the fault is not a new fault and has been there for a while, the problem could be the spark generator.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, there's no way I could get at the string of switches you illustrate without dismantling the whole thing, or possibly by pulling the oven out from underneath the hob - and even if I did that (a major operation) there's no certainty it would give me access to what's under the switches.

It is a new fault so far as we're concerned: we've been using it for a week and not had this problem until the spilt coffee incident.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sent this on the 'rate to finish' tab instead of 'reply to expert'. This is a confusing site!

>>>>>

You replied

10 October 2015 18:12 (GMT/GMT)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ok Paul, since this is a problem that has only arose since the spilling of the coffee, I would then certainly say that it is moisture that has got into the switches..

Try what I said earlier (hair dryer).. If it doesn't work, I can talk you through accessing the switches without the need to pull out the oven...

Please rate the assistance given by me today & please remember that I'm not constantly available, so please wait patiently if awaiting a response..