George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Neff B1542 oven. On replacing the grill element, when

I have a Neff B1542 oven. On replacing the grill element, when I switched on everything seemed OK, and I reset the clock. But on turning on an oven control (can't remember which one), something blew. Seemed to be from behind the control knob somewhere. Clock and fan still work, but no heating. No red thermostat light. I've removed control area cover and everything looks fine, except that the temperature limiter has some black soot around it.
Is the limiter likely to have blown? And if I replace it, will it just go again?
***** *****
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello John, my name is George..
Please check the fingers of the selector switch.. Also check the wiring on the element to ensure that you have not placed the wiring incorrectly.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fingers and wiring on both selector switches looks OK. I was pretty sure the (dual) grill element wiring would be OK, as I had made a note of the connections before removing them. However, one of the connectors had become detached. I am pretty sure I had connected it, as I was following my diagram, and would otherwise have had an empty terminal and unused connector. It was a bit charred and disfigured as if it had been "blown" off. I hadn’t noticed it being like this when initially removing it.
Is there any testing I can undertake to eliminate/confirm possible problems before re-trying and risking the same thing happening?
What is likely is that the terminal that was stray has touched an earthing point.
If you have a 20MOhm multimeter, then you could use that to do an insulation test on the appliance.
You can also to a resistance check on the element itself.
Please rate the assistance given by me & kindly be patient whilst awaiting replys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
An earthed terminal sounds quite likely. It was touching bare metal when I discovered it.
What components might have been damaged as a result?
Which wire was it that was loose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3rd from the left as viewed from the rear, of the 4-terminal block of the dual grill element.
Normally on those elements you will find a total of 5 wires including earth.. If the element has no earth tag then there would be 4 wires..
Single to outer of element terminal
Single to inner element terminal
Duel to other two terminals
Is this the scheme that you have?.. if so, which colour was the wire.
I must now ask you to now rate the assistance given by me before I can assist you further.
regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot about the earth, which is actually connected to one of the grill fixing screws.
Loose wire was 3rd from left of the 4 element connections. This is a direct connection from the terminal on its right. Both wires white with blue stripe.
Sorry about not rating. I assumed this was done at the close of the conversation.
The wire you refer to is a neutral wire which normally goes directly to the terminal block, sometimes via a toc...
No damage should have taken place, unless the toc has been damaged.
Put the wire back on to create the circuit and all should be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All working now! But only after I put a new temperature limiter in. As I said in my original post, I suspected that it had blown. So I had already obtained a replacement.
Thanks very much for your help.