Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Viking oven and the main oven does not seem

Customer Question

hello - I have a Viking oven and the main oven does not seem to be receiving gas although the igniter is glowing orange. On the range, the hobs do receive gas but I have to use a lighter. Is there is a single igniter for the whole oven that is broken? Grateful for any help. Thanks
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

The viking range use valves to deliver the gas as with any other oven.. If no gas is getting to the burner there may be an issue with the valve or the knob, or indeed the timer if it is a timer controlled version.

The viking range use spark generators for sparking at the hob. If there is no spark at any of the hob igniters then there will be an issude with either the generator or the power to it.

Please rate the assistance given by me today and before asking for further advice, please supply a model number and serial number of the appliance.. & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, but all of this has happened at the same time:

- hob sparkers not working (but gas still coming through that I can light with a match)

- no gas to main burner (and igniter thing still glows orange when oven turned on

- no gas to burner that heats hob-top flat sizzle frying area

There is power to the oven as lights and convection fan works

So any ideas on what I should do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MODEL NO: EVGIC3654GSS

SERIAL NO: 030107C00020979

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello - Can I expect another response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very limited initial response, no follow up after a day. Very disappointed.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for your patience,

Adam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Happy to wait as long as I have not been charged anything and will not be charged anything until I get a satisfactory answer

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael and will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating after we're finished. it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only compensated for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your range?Also have you tested to make sure power is getting to the electrical valve, called a thermocouple?If so and you get power there, (most likely). Then you need a new gas valve. I can help you get that part if you think you are up to the task of making the repair with my assistance? Let me know on that.Also please change your rating to a kind one so I can work with you. No cost to change that.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi - thanks for getting back.

the range is about 8 years old.

From a power perspective the cooker seems to be getting power as the lights come on. however, the hob sparkers do not work - you have to light manually.

The hot plate and oven igniters both seem to go orange when turned on, but no gas comes out of either one (although gas is coming out of all 4 hobs).

is there a single gas value for the hot plate and the oven and a separate one for the hobs, else I don't see how it can be the valve?

Alos, why has the cost gone up from £20 to £30 now? I still haven't had my £20 worth!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks, ***** ***** to your question yes there is one valve for each burner. But they aren't electronic. The one you need is electronic and is the one responsible for opening the gas valve to the oven burner. That should solve your problem I have been work with gas ranges and ovens for over 34 years lol;-) I can tell you the best place to get that part and help you with the replacement if you are handy and have the basic tools.But please re rate so My service isn't compromised for helping correctly;-)Thank you and have a great day, no cost to re rate kindly now so I can stick with you until this is fixed properly.Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am happy to rate, but if I rate then I think it finishes our dialogue? It also seems to have upped the cost to £30 - is that because you charge 30 and the other guy charged 20?

Anyway, happy to rate you and pay as long as I get this sorted!

If there is one valve for each burner I don't see how this can be the problem as both the hob hot plate and main oven gas isn't working. It would seem quite a coincidence if both of these stopped working at the same time? Also, I cant help but thing the none-sparking of the hob burners is related?

regards

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
hi no not at all, lol, sorry for any confusion. When you rate you and I will be able continue until this is complete and fixed. It will allow you access to me until then as it may take some time to get the part etc.So rating is a good thing. As for the amount I believe it is $29.00 ;-)So you can rate with confidence and as a matter of fact once you rate I will send you a reply so you know that I'm still with you. Tech Mike ;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It clearly states - "Rate to Finish" and then when I press rate it seems to take me to a "do you want to pay a tip" screen. Doesn't seem right?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I promise you you wont lose me, I know that is says that but it doesn't apply in this case as you will need me further and I will be here ;-)Tech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it picked up the last rating as it says I already rated you - can you see that?

Will upgrade from Good to Excellent if we get this sorted :-)

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I cant see that but when you do rate, I will see that and will reply to you.Tech Mike
Michael, Customer Service
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Upgrading is fine;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
See I disappeared!LOL!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you please help now?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, now I can keep working with you when your time is free. Keep in mind I am not on here 24-7 but usually between the hours of 9 am or earlier until about 7 pm EST US;-)ThanksTech Mike
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I will be available in about 20 minutes I am finishing up with an other customer at the moment. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am now available
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
The first thing is do you have the tools a meter and some basic hand tools?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
ALso a good place for the part which is called a thermocouple valve assembly or just thermocouple. Is listed here:http://www.buyspares.co.uk/viking-spares/shop.plOr call them as I would recommend:0844(###) ###-####ontact Centre opening timesMonday - Friday8am - 6pmSaturday9am - 4pmSundayClosed
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
This part is a safety feature but sometimes they fail like this and they don't sense the heat from the coil so they never open and allow normal gas to flow.Its a fail safe condition.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I have been on here all day and wont be back until tomorrow morning and all day for the most part to help if you have any further questions at this time.But once you have the part I will instruct you but please ONLY take on this task if you have mechanical experience due to the nature of the dangers of improper gas assembly.Thank youTech Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not sure you saw my question - I'm happy to get a part but would be good if you could confirm that my symptoms are consistent with this part

Symptoms are:

- Main oven burner not getting gas (but igniter working)

- Top hot plate not getting gas (but igniter is working)

- 4 hob burners getting gas but no igniter

Will a new thermocouple fix all of these issues?

Have you gone now? Would be good to get an answer to this question as you haven't yet convinced me that the thermocouple is the problem

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** need a new thermocouple and a new igniter for the 4 hob burners. Thats all you need , and when you have that I will instruct you on how to do this one step at a time so you don't get into any trouble;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - how much are these parts and roughly how long will it take to fit? If longer than 30 mins I'm happy to get someone in!

Is it just one thermocouple that covers top and bottom burners?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Im sure it would take me an experienced tech about 1 hour to do this so you a bit longer lol.But as for the cost, I cant really say as they can vary from region to region but I would expect to pay here in the states about $ 70.00 US for the thermocouple and about $ 150. for the spark module. But also I'm not really sure how it adds up with UK money .Thats not my field lol;-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks - is there an company/engineer you can recommend in the UK to come and do this?

And could you please confirm whether this is one thermocouple covering both burners or two?

(I assume that the 4 hobs have a different thermocouple?)

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, can I have your state and town so I can see if there is someone local for this task;-)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm in the UK

By the way, I seem to have been debited £40 so far for this when the original request was £20. I think this is illegal?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the info. I am only a technician, so I have nothing to do with the billing. But I can tell you for sure that we have an A+ rating with the BBB.And we offer a 100% money back guarantee.We are an upstanding service.So no worries I have been here with them for 8 years now and they are really great with customer satisfaction and all;-)I dont call the UK due to the expense, its not too bad but my carrier doesnt provide that for me. I really do think we could handle this over the phone MUCH quicker, so heres what I will do. I will send you an offer so you can call me.If you accept that I will send you my phone #, its the rules I just follow them ;-)Let me know what you think?If not we can still work here like this.Thanks so much for your patience.SincerelyTech Michael