George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Diplomat 600Ga, ADP0150. The gas oven fires up

I have a Diplomat 600Ga, ADP0150. The gas oven fires up ok, full flame is established after about 30 secs, but about 30 sec after that, the flame becomes erratic, trying to go out and the igniters (oven and grill) continuously starts to go, clicking away. If I open the oven door this stops the igniter going and there is a good stable flame. If using the grill, the oven recognises if the door is not open, as it should and the igniter clicks away and the grill flame goes out, as it should. The problem is only when using the oven. The fan appears to be operating ok.
They only thing I have done very recently, is replaced the door hinges to eliminate heat escaping at the sides of the door. I removed the 4 screws in the corners to pull forward the oven enough to remove the hinge screws, but can't see that this would have caused the fault. Your advise would be appreciated.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello Bill, my name is George..

It sounds like for some reason your burner flame is being starved of oxygen, or the valve is set too low to burn in that enviroment.

The sparking is caused by the reigniter which detects that the flame at the burner is too low and tries to re-ignite the gas.

You will need a Gas Safe engineer to call and check and make any necessary adjustments to the appliance.

Please rate the assistance given by me & kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mhh, this seems to make a bit of sense now. I seem to recall that ever since the oven was new, there was heat escaping from the sides of the door. and i have only just got round to replacing the hinges, giving it a god tight seal now, as the door shuts nice and tight and no heat escapes. Seems that whilst the door wasn't shutting fully, oxygen was being allowed to enter and keep a good flame going. Does this sound feasible? Can you also tell me if the door seal should be constant or if there should be a section missing to allow air in? I replaced the seal a couple of years ago to try and address the heat escaping (didn't resolve it) and i seem to recall there may have been a gap, but i cut the new one to fit all the way round, thinking there was a section missing.

Bill, I do not have any record to show me the original seal but, most ovens have a gap in the seal to deal with the Carbon Monoxide created by the gas cooker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi George.

I have cut away a small section of the seal and it is now operating normally. Thanks.