George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Why does my frdige not get cold, but the frezzer below works.

Why does my frdige not get cold, but the frezzer below works. I have repalced the thermosta inside the fridge section.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Please give the model number and PNC of the appliance

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Goerge

The info on the plate inside the unit is:

Model ZRB834NW

Type CBFF340

Product no.###-##-####00

Service no. 92430070

Can you check a few things for me..

1.The fan in the fridge is operating

2. If there is any ice or frost build-up at the compartment at the top of the freezer

3. If the fan in the freezer is working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the fan at the top works,

I had truned the unit off to defrost it, other things needed to be done so it was off for a month or so.

I checked the back and the grill is not covered in dust etc same around the motor area.

Then it will take approximately 12 hours to bring the unit fully down to temperature after restarting it... Have you done this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I fired it up last night about 6pm left it over night and checked it this morning before comeing to work about 7:30ish. The frezzer is cold as it should be but the fridge is not as cold as one would expect. I have the temp dial set to 6 as I think this is the coldest setting possible.

Can you check the temperatures with a thermostat Ian?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry, I had to get a thermometer from work. I placed a bowl of water in the fridge on Tuesday night and checked the temp today. The reading was 16 degrees and the surface temp of the sides of the fridge was 18 degrees.

The surface temp inside the freezer is -15 degrees.

Is there any other info you need?

Ian

Please place your hand on the compressor at the rear of the appliance and tell me how warm it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have touched the compressor, it is hot. I can touch it but not leave my hand on it.

Then in this case Ian, you have a problem with a lack of refrigerant in the system; you will need to either, have the system refilled, or, replace the appliance.

The system has taken 6 years to leak the initial case fill, so in theory, so long as the job is done right and there have been no detrimental occurances, a gas refill should last as long.

regards
George