Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Is it worth having my 12 year old fridge freezer repaired .

Customer Question

Is it worth having my 12 year old fridge freezer repaired . The fridge is not working
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.
Hi thereI am Daniel and will do what I can to assist you. please do not rate me until we are done, and feel free to ask as much as you need.This question is one that may be a bit tricky to answer! Firstly, what symptoms are yo getting from the fridge? also, what make/model is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a Whirlpool American Fridge Freezer, and the fridge isn't getting cold. However the freezer is working. Not sure what the model is.
thankyou for that information.It could of course be several things wrong, but one cause is that the compressor has failed. without a model number I cannot price this for you sadly.Easiest way to check if it is the compressor is to open the door of the fridge, and turn the thermostat dial all the way round forcing it to come on. If the compressor kicks into life, it may well be something like the thermostat has failed (much cheaper than compressor,) but if it does not kick into life, you can safely assume it has failed and requires replacement.Only you know how much you are willing to spend on repairing it, but without knowing what has failed and then pricing the part and labour to fit, you cannot make an informed decision.