George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I replaced the oven element on my Creda Cordialle 48283 fan

I replaced the oven element on my Creda Cordialle 48283 fan oven. On this occasion, one of the wires to be connected to the element slipped down the back of the oven and I had to open the back to retrieve it. Having done so, I fitted the element, closed everything up and refitted the oven in its place, reconnected the mains and then turned on the oven. To my surprise I found that both the oven and grill elements came on and the fan in the oven didn't! - which I considered rather serious! I am always very careful to make sure I am connecting up the correct things when I perform tasks like this and I don't remember having any confusion during the repair. The only thing I can imagine I may have done was to to mix up the two wires to be connected to the element and do it the wrong way round. Would this have resulted in the problem I have identified? And will swapping the two wires now fix the problem? I haven't tried this yet as I wanted to get the opinion of a 3rd party first. I hope someone can advise.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..
These appliances usually have a double wire at the fan element that comes from the neutral at the terminal block, but this also doubles as the neutral for the heating element.. If you have pulled this off the fan then the fan will stop working, however it will not break the connection for the heater, therefore the heater will continue to work.
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply George. I haven't pulled any wires off the fan. I have checked the 'symptoms' again though and to modify my previous reporting of the problem the following happens:
When I turn on the grill, both the grill and oven elements AND the oven fan come on. When I turn the oven on, both oven and fan elements come on, but not the oven fan. (The other fan in the top of the machine comes on in both cases). I don't know if that helps you in the diagnosis.
With regard to my original question about swapping wires, if I did swap the the wires to the oven element that I think I had the wrong way round, would I cause any damage? - presumably the fuse would just blow if the machine 'didn't like it' and then I think I would just call an engineer. If on the other hand, if everything went back to how it used to be then I wouldn't need to spend any more money calling someone out. What do you think?
Thanks in anticipation.
Jon
Looking at the wiring diagram here whilst reading the description of your fault, the only possibility of what you are describing is if damage has occurred to the selector switch fingers.
Check the fingers of the selector switch to ensure they are all lifting as the selector is turning. The likelihood (and it is commonplace) is that finger 2 is stuck down in the selector, as this controls power to the oven element.
The fan at the top of the cooker is a cooling fan that comes on once the cavity gets warm.
Regarding the swapping of wires... If accidentally you have swapped the oven and grill positives, this would alter which element came on at selection, but would not cause the problem you have.
Question: did the original element blow?
regards
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****-Allsorts,Your comment about the selector switch ring true. I was looking at that with a view to working out which items came on with each position of the switch and indeed the second one remains down in both oven and grill settings. I thought it was normal as the end that would rise seemed to be very firmly attached to the contact beneath it - as if soldered in place. I'll have another look. I'm curious to know what would cause it to stick down like that. Can I fix this myself? or do I need an engineer, do you think?The original element did blow yes - by which I mean it just stopped working one day - no big bang but maybe a click - it has been replaced several times in the oven's lifetime whereas the grill never has as far as I can remember.Re my wire mix up theory, I'm not sure if we are talking cross-purposes still, but I'm only talking about the two wires that attach to the oven element electrodes (one is two black wires and the other a single grey purplish one).Anyway, it seems perhaps the we are nearly done. Thanks very much for your help so far.Best wishesJon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****-Allsorts,You may have forgotten me by now, but just to finish the story, I did check the connection you mentioned and it was indeed stuck down. With a little (not so gentle) persuasion, it sprung back up and then everything worked fine. So thanks for that. It's also nice to know that I hadn't connected anything incorrectly myself when replacing the spent element. I felt sure I had been meticulous about doing it right so my confidence in myself is restored. You didn't answer the question in my last email - about the reason the finger in the selector switch would stick. I'm guessing the element blowing may have heated it and made it fuse to the connection beneath it. If you can confirm without asking for more money that would be nice, but if not thanks anyway for the help you gave me.
I'll use the service again in the future.RegardsJon Butt
Hi Jon, thank you for getting back to me and sorry I missed your extra question.
You are correct in your assumtion that the element blowing caused a fusing action.. The shortcircuiting of the element at the time it blows causes the contact area to fuse together in a welding fashion.. most of the time this can be corrected as you have managed to do, but sometimes not.
I'm glad I was able to assist.
regards