Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an old green Belling farmhouse 2 oven cooker. Today

I have an old green Belling farmhouse 2 oven cooker. Today - suddenly the fan in the grill came on (I was using the fan oven at the time) and did not realise it. When I did realise the grill fan was on I checked the control for the grill (which was set to zero ) and it was very hot to touch.
The only way of stopping the fan is to switch off the cooker at the mains.
Any ideas
thanks
John
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number of the oven please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would i get that ? - the cooker is in a position where i cannot get to the back
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Its normally on a sticker on the inside of one of the doors.Or if you have a warming drawer/ pan storage at the very bottom it will be there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Danielsorry for delay but there's no sticker in the places you mention.
john
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok no worries. The grill section you say is this a smaller oven?When you say the fan is running do you feel the air comming from the top of the doors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are two ovens (one fan one standard). Above the standard oven is a normal electric grill - controlled by a switch marked 1-6 .The ovens are separately switched.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so its the smaller grill one thats running all the time?Is the grill comming on as well even though the switch is turned off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the grill doesn't come on but in the past after using the grill and switching off, you get a fan running to get rid of the heat . Tonight, the fan was running and I had not used the grill
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that fan is the cooling fan as it cools the controls on the front. This only comes on when you use the oven and it gets hot. As theres a small thermostat that switches the cooling fan on and once its cooled down it then turns the fan off.
If the fan is running all the time then its usually the cooling fan thermostat thats failed and it causes the fan to run all the time.
Im afraid to fix this the oven will need to be pulled out and the back panel removed.
Then locate the cooling fan and next to this is the thermostat. You need to replace this and from there that should stop the fan from running all the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is not running now
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok then its switched off. Sometimes the thermostat can take longer then it should do to switch off so try it again and see what happens. If its taking longer to switch off then its possibley a faulty thermostat. But also just reread the question again and saw that it came on when you used the oven. This is normal as well as the cooling fan will come on when any of the ovens have been on as its controled by the thermostat so its not just the grill that uses that cooling fan as all the ovens do as its a cooling fan. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to bring the oven up to a temp so that I can shut it down but I don't see how this affects the fan for the grill. I will try this in the morning
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its the range oven i think it is then the grill isnt a fan assist as no grills are. The fan will be a cooling fan for the complete range oven itself so it will come on for all the ovens usually once the oven is hot as the fan cools all the controls on the front.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DanielI'm not a good sleeper hence reply at this time.The grill is fan assisted. Switch the grill on and after about 10 secs a fan at the back or side blows air across the grill tray and out the open door of the grill. Could this be because the cooker is dual fuel - the hobs are gas.?So I turned the grill on, the fan came on and then I turned the grill off. The fan continued to blow and stopped only when I switched the cooker off at the mains. I waited about 2 mins- switched the mains on and the fan in the grill started again - even though the grill was not switched on. So I switched off at mains waited about 3 mins , switched on again and the fan did not run.All this was happening when both ovens were offI have found a picture of the exact cooker on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belling-FarmHouse-932-100-cm-Dual-Electric-and-Gas-Kitchen-Range-/221921301917?hash=item33ab8a559d:g:9U8AAOSwl9BWGlXCThere are other sites where people have raised a problem with the grill but the reverse - the fan comes on but no heat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Daniel
This morning tried the grill and everything worked perfectly. The fan came on about a minute after I switched the grill on and continued for about 5 mins after I switched the grill off - the fan stopped when there seemed to be no further heat in the grill compartment.(Neither oven was on)The setup is obviously different to what you thought .
Can we agree a partial refund on my £20 payment ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sorry for the delay im not usually online during the day. As to the model you shown the fan in the grill isnt a fan just for the grill its the complete cooling fan for the oven itself.But as to your second reply then its working ok which is the set up i knew it would be as thats the cooling fan thats running and its thermostat controled as i said at the start so thats why it runs still after its turned off for a few minutes as its still cooling the oven down. As to the payment side i have no control over that as you need to contact customer services about that im afraid. As i dont get involved in the payment side. Regards
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.