Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have aeg 59840 and getting eror code E50. Any idea

Hello, I have aeg 59840 and getting eror code E50. Any idea what it can be?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
E50 fault is a motor related problem.
For this its either the motor itself, Capacitor or the control board im afraid.
If you set it going do you hear the drum turning?
If not then is there a slight humming noise there? If there is then remove the top and set it going and very carefully give the drum a push and if it starts running then the capacitor is faulty and will need to be replaced.
If that isnt the cause then you need to test the motor with a multimeter and see if faulty and if so replace but if thats fine then the control board is the fault.
So thats what the E50 code is its motor related im afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is short humming noise after dryer starts, then fan starts. I am going to remove top and follow your instruction. I will let you know how it is going.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries thats fine, Just let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, gently push does not help
how can I find if it is motor or control board?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok remove the right hand side panel and there you will see the motor at the bottom. Disconnect the wiring block to the motor and there should be 3 tags there.You need a multimeter and test between the 3 tags and they should all give a reading. If you dont get a reading then the motor is faulty. If the readings are fine then make sure the drum turns ok and if it does then the control board will be the fault. But to be honest with you both the motor and the control board are very expensive to replace here. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I remove right side panel? are there screws just in the back? What does 'very expensive' mean? Do you have any estimates?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drum does not move easy, there is quite lot friction definitely much more then drum in washing machine
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
A dryer drum can be tight but you should be able to turn it though. Remove the right hand side panel and release the belt from the motor and see if the drum turns easyer from there.Then turn the motor and see if this is stiff. If the motor is stiff then its faulty and will need to be replaced. To remove the side panels theres a few screws on the back and one on the top towards the front of the side panel. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I am there. There is a spring on the side of the motor, I guess I should unhook it and then release the belt. As well I see 3 pins. if I use multimeter, they should have reading against each other? When the belt is released can I try to turn dryer on and see if motor turns?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok as to the motor yes the pins should all read between each other. And as to the belt and spring again release this and then see if the drum turns easy then. If it does then that will be fine. Then turn the motor spindle and see if thats free to turn. If its stiff then the motor will be the fault as the motor bearing will have jammed up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have reading in between all pins, motor turn very easy, drum not so easy, it is better, but it is still quite stiff.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok so it sounds like the motor is fine.
Leave the belt off and set the dryer going and see if the motor turns freely from there and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, motor turns
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok then, I think theres somthing caught up around the drum thats stopping it from turning.
Remove the buldge cover on the back and check the bearing hasnt worn.
If thats fine then you need to remove the left hand side panel and then release the back panel and disconnect the bearing circlip and then relase the bearing and you can then remove the drum.
Check to see if theres anything caught up there.
Then refit the drum and see if its free to turn then.
As from the sounds of this the drum is the issue as it sounds like somthing is caught up in there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its quite late here, is it problem to continue tomorrow, removing drum sounds quite long job for me
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Not at all, Try it when you can and just post back on here once done and let me know how it goes. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks! Have a nice evening.Best Regards
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, Speak soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have removed left side panel, buldge cover, removed bearing circlip, bearing looks ok, but I have no idea how to release back panel, I do not see any more screws and it still does not go off.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Sorry didnt relise it was a heat pump dryer. Ive attched the service manual for you as it will show you how to dismantel the dryer. Click the link below and have a look at that and see how it goes. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,at last I had time to work on dryer during daylight. Service manual was a great help. It turned out (of course after I have disassembled the whole thing to clean possibly stuck drum, that motor dos not turn, it just vibrates, As I was checking it with poor lighting i thought that it is working, but it is not. So I am going try to get new capacitor and I will see.Thanks for now.JaromirPS. I am sorry it takes me so long ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately motor is broken. It is possible to test it, when you connect power to it, I can see it turns fine one way, but does not the other. as well when measuring winding resistance winding A has few ohms less then winding B, what suggest short connection in within winding :(. Electrolux does not have spare motor in stock, neither can tell me when it will be available :(, but I found business doing re-winding of electrical motors...