Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My beko wmb81241 LW won't drain. I cleaned out the filter at

My beko wmb81241 LW won't drain. I cleaned out the filter at the front last night hoping that would do the trick but it hasn't. I can't do anything now because i'm at work, but if i get in touch this eve will you be able to help? I'm worried about having to pull the machine out (it's freestanding) because I'm not especially strong, but please let me know if i will need to.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering if you are with the washer now and need help on it still?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, and yes!
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok if you set the washer going on a spin only do you hear the pump at the bottom running?If not then listen very carefully at the bottom and do you hear a slight humming noise from there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll do that now and get back to you
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
No worries
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just tried it. I could hear water trickling through into the drum, and a low humming noise
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that humming noise may possibley be the drain pump impeller jammed up.
Remvoe the filter again and this time look inside the chamber were the filter goes and in there at the back is the pump impeller X shape. Check theres nothing stuck in there jamming the pump impeller up.
Turn the impeller and it should ping round in stages. As if its stiff to turn then the pump will need to be replaced.
But check the impeller first and see what you find and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll have a look ... i'm assuming you mean the filter at the front of the machine - that's where I'll lookThe x shaped thing turned quite easily - nothing jamming it
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Yep thats the part i ment.
Ok so if thats free then try this and see what happens.
Leave the filter out and set it going on a spin only.
Look at the pump impeller and see if its spinning round fast in there and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can't get it to do a spin only, only spin and rinse. I set it on spin and rinse, with the filter off, and so water came straight through onto floor so i had to put the filter back on ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it's a quiet hum, with filter back in, and showing there's 24 mins to go but the number doesn't go down and it certainly isn't spinning
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so reset it by holding the start button for several seconds and then turn the dial to spin only which is the 6 oclock program on the dial.
Press start and see if the pump is running then if you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
omg. it started to drain, and then finished, and the time showed the End.
Does that mean it's sorted?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok thats just reset the control unit.
So now try a short wash and see what happens on this and see what happens with that and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Fingers crossed that may have cured it. As if it was blocked and you cleared it then it would have need to be reset to cancel the cycle and start again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it hasn't worked im afraid. The wash won't start ...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what happens when you start a wash cycle?
What is showing on the display?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
600 spin ... oh - its just started up! 11 mins to go ...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so know you have it on a spin only do you?
Let it complete and then try a rinse and see if this fills with water and starts washing and counting down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's stopped six minutes into cycle. It's been displaying six minutes for about 15. Display shows a tap with a line through it, 600 spin symbol, 30 degrees, a padlock symbol, a basket with two vertical lines in it, and a flashing basket with a 'shower' type symbol. And there are two vertical lines at the very end in bottom right hand corner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ps there is water in the drum
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok try this and lets see what the error code is.
Turn the washer off.
Turn the dial to 12 oclock
Press and hold the start button and keep it held in and then turn the washer on.
Keep held in for a few seconds and then let go. Now it will flash up an error code E??
Let me know the code and then turn the washer back off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry - think i did it wrong. machine has come on again and cycle re-started ... now it's stopped and is showing end.
symbols are End with the 'e', the basket with two vertical lines in it, and the basket with the shower in it. maybe it's fixed?? I hhope so - i want to go to bed!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i've put it on a 12 min spin and drain cycle which seems to be working ...
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok i think you may have reset it again thats all.
But retry it and if its still stopping again then its a draining fault. As the filter and pump impeller are both clear then check the waste hose were it drains to and check the end of the hose isnt blocked up if it goes under the sink.
But if thats ok then its more then likely a faulty pump which would need to be replaced on this to cure it im afraid.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to have worked, so thank you very much!