Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My prestige freezer's alarm is flashing and temp os now -3,

Customer Question

my prestige freezer's alarm is flashing and temp os now -3, it was -6 last evening.
please advise?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - would you kindly let me have the model number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where would I find that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is model PRT 225 FFZS
Should be stuck on a label inside the compartment - when was the last time you defrosted it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The number is ***** above
When last defrosted ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 2yrs ago, but it is a frost free obe
OK let me explain, this is a Chinese product built for Prestige and together with its Frigidaire version was notorious for freezing up and the temperatures being all over the place. What happens is that the cooling plate (evaporator) freezes up solid with ice and the airflow which keeps things cool is restricted or blocked. Firstly, you need to move your food somewhere and leave the appliance with its doors open for at least two days (towels in front) to allow a full defrost. Once this has been done restart the appliance and see if everything is back to normal, if so you got away with it. If it happens again you will need to disassemble the appliance to check the defrost heaters and sensors behind the fan cover assembly.