Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have just got a second hand bosch fridge frezzer exxcell

I have just got a second hand bosch fridge frezzer exxcell frost free maxx freedom performance in excellent condition however i have pluged in yesterday the warning light is on and the frezzer is walm and keeps making a clicking noice like its turning on and off it also keeps flashing after doi g the clicking i have shopping at friends house as can not freeze here i cant find model number on there so cant look at manual
Please help
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - is the clicking noise around the back in the motor area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is it sounds loike its trying then turning on and off
OK bad news I'm afraid, the motor (compressor) has seized and will require replacement. Not a diy job I'm afraid, depending upon where you bought the item I would take it back and ask for a refund. The replacement of the compressor will be in the region of £150-180 so likely not viable. Would you now kindly rate my service to you using the smiley faces below, once done all further questions are free of charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why did this happen? I brought it yesterday and saw it working and brought as is
The compressor is like a small motor bike engine driven by an electric motor, if the fridge freezer is moved sometimes the piston gets jammed in the cylinder and wont move up and down to pump the refrigerant. A sensor on the side of the compressor measures the amount of power that the motor requires and if this is exceeded because the piston is jammed will cut off the supply. The clicking that you hear is the sensor switching off the supply and then resetting itself and so the cycle is restarted. Very common these day.
Would you now kindly rate the information supplied to you be using the smiley faces below, this allows me to close down the information request on the system. Many thanks.