Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Have Zanuzzi washing machine LP 1290.Wahes correctly except

Have Zanuzzi washing machine LP 1290.
Wahes correctly except after spin and the end it makes a "metallic sound".
Drum turns freely and no sound of anything rubbing or greating.
Will call out engineer but wonder what it could be bearing?
Any Advice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Issue as before.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - if you press the tub backwards and then turn the drum does it make the same noise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Carried out your instructions.

Pressed tub back several times and turned drum back and forward.

No noise.

Noise comes at end of maximum 1200 spi. When it finishes and carries on the cycle metal"scraping" noise heard.

Other than that nothing wrong with machine. Washes fine.

Abroad and don't trust local Engineers!

OK and how handy are you with tools? Could you also give me the pnc for this model please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not good with tools; don't have any here.

Could borrow and take top off machine for simple thing.

Machine is Zanussi ,FL 1290 washer.

APmc is photo?

OK when you have a minute, I need you to take off the top, remove the drive belt and then run it through the spin cycle and tell me if you still get the metallic noise at the end of the cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Will have to be tomorrow. Fiesta here.

What will that mean.

No noise still problem?

Have yet to clear lint and rubbish collector at bottom right. Might be a foreign item - not cleaned since lasr year.

What I am trying to establish is is it the motor that is causing the noise or the drum. By removing the belt the motor operates but the drum is not turning. If we still have the noise then the motor is your problem if no noise then likely its with the drum.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Zanussi engineer should come today.

May need some more advice on what engineer says about machine.

Of course I shall give a rating of excellent.

John

Hi John,
I am here for the rest of the day so do keep me in the loop and let me know what he thinks.
Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Engineer came 4.00 Spanish time.

He tested the drum back and fore etc. All ok.

He insisted on doing a full load wash. This did not go down well with my wife. She had already done all the washing. Eventually the heavy bed cover was sacrificed for the wash.

Went through the whole cycle perfectly.

Told him to wait till after the full spin. We listened. Came to end and NOT A SQUEEK OR ANY SOUND!

He then lectured me on coins buttons in the filter and said wait until the machine actually broke down.

He said machine was in perfect condition and could not believe machine 11 years old.

After he went we rewashed bed cover with soap this time.

Came to critical spin bit and there was a SQUEEK!

This time listened attentively and both my wife and I agreed that right after the finish of the spin at the time the machine was a"changing directions" or going onto do something else it was not metallic but as if something needed oiling.

Thus shall use machine until it actually breaks down.

Any final thoughts before I rate everything as extremely satisfied.

Right I can tell you what the problem is now that you have given me the final piece of the jigsaw - nothing to worry about at all. All drive belts fitted to washing machines are elasticated, this mean as the machine rotates, on its initial movement one side of the belt in being placed into tension whilst the other side is playing catch up and is loose. (hope you can visualize this) What then happens is the motor reverses, the side that was lose suddenly becomes under tension and other side becomes lose. For that odd second or two the belt slips and this is what is causing the problem squeek. You may ask why elasticated, well manufacturers in their wish not to pay for engineers to go out and adjust belts every two years or so came up with this wonderful sqeeking belt. I hope that explains clearly you conundrum. If you would now kindly rate my information to you using the smiley faces below I would be grateful as it allows me to shut down the job on the system. If you need to contact me in the future my email address is - dales.electronic(at)btopenworld.com Have a great day.