canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I live in a small apartment. I have bought a washing machine

Hi, I live in a small apartment. I have bought a washing machine and realised that there are no water connectors for the machine. It is a top loader and I wash wondering if it would be possible to fill the machine manually. Could you please help me?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is there a sink nearby that you could make connections to for water supply?
Or do you mean that the machine does not have water connections? If that is the case will you provide the model number of the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is.
Are there not connections for water under the sink? If there are not then will you post a picture of the piping under the sink cabinet and maybe some pictures of where the machine would be? Is this a washing machine that would hook to the sink spout or does the machine have ports to hook water supply to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine has connectors, but I have nothing to attach it to under the sink.
No problem. If you post some pictures of the piping under the sink I could direct you how to make a connection there if you are a little handy. I am sure that it could be done without any specialized plumbing skills.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a rather tight squeeze, but these three pictures cover the main plumbing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The faucet has a screw cap. Would it be possible to connect the pipe to that when I want to wash clothes (if I bought the right connector)?
Those are all pictures under the nearest sink? Will you post more pictures with a bit of a wider angle? Also maybe some that show the proximity of the machine to the sink? Yes, that would certainly be an option. A Y connector to connect the hot and cold together on the machine and a single connector to connect to the faucet spout. If you buy a cheap faucet filter they come with universal faucet connectors so you could just use the adapter that comes with the filter if you have trouble finding the right adapter. Also unscrew the fitting on the end of the spout and bring it with you to help find the right adapter. That would certainly be the easiest solution. It looks pretty tight under the sink. I just got a call from the school that the boy is green. I am going to get him from school and I will be back soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a Y-connector? I ask you this because I live in France and need to make sure I buy the right equipment.
If the machine has a hot and cold water port then it would be a hose that connects the two together so that it is one connector. I will find an example on the internet now....
click here
I don't know what model washing machine you have. Some are cold water only and only have one port for water. If you have two then you will need to connect both. The temperature control on the machine will not work and will be controlled by the faucet on the sink if you hook to the spout.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Laden A + A class machine. If I find an adaptor to attach to the end of the faucet, and turn the tap on in the cold water position when I attach it and wish to use the machine, would I be able to use my machine in this way? That is to say, would I be able to use my machine without this Y_connector? ( As my apartment is small, I can't have my washing machine permanently positioned next to the water supply anyway)
You would be able to use your machine that way but you would still need to hook to both hot and cold on the machine. If you wash in hot water or cold water you will just have to position the faucet in that way. If you set it to cold then be sure to have the valve turned on to cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so there won't be any problems with water pressure then. That's good news because it's quite a tight spot Under the sink. Finally, is there anything I should worry about when turning the faucet off and unscrewing the inlet pipe from it?
The only other thing would be to cover the drain in the sink so that nothing gets dropped down the drain. There is a little rubber gasket there. You might find some debris in the screen so be sure to remove the rubber gasket before turning the water on to flush it out.
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber