Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Kevin I have a hotpoint ultima wt761 which I bought second hand. I have plumbed

Hi Kevin
I have a hotpoint ultima wt761 which I bought second hand.
I have plumbed it in, however I ma getting a H2O error. I have opened up the top and checked the vacuum tube is clear. I have checked the incoming water is clear. When I first turn it on I can hear water go into the machine, however it makes a low hum noise. It sounds as if a motor is straining (however I could be assuming this as I suspect that's the problem). After a few mins the water gets pumped out and the H2O error code flashes.
I have also taken the back off it and taken the pump out. It does not seem to have any blockages, I've totally removed it, blow through it. The tube that goes from the drum to the pump also appears to be clear.
I was wondering if it's the pump, however it does seem to remove the water once the H2O error code comes on.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - OK as you have guessed H2O indicates that the appliance is not getting water, first thing is to take off the water supply pipe and check that you have actually got water coming out at the point where the water supply pipe connects to the back of the washer, then come back to me with the result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I already did that. It's flowing fine

OK can you use a multimeter or a mains tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I can't do that

OK with the top off switch the appliance on, set a program and hit start and put your finger on top of the water inlet valve (not where the power connects) and tell me if you can feel a vibration and hear a buzzing from it. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS ONLY ON THE PLASTIC BODY OF THE VALVE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The cold water inlet splits into two when inside the machine. I could feel water flowing through both pipes and it last for about 30 seconds or so before stopping.

It is now making that dull low noise.

I should also point out that when I set the machine to spin only it did spin.

Will you be online still in 45 mins? my wife has asked me to give her a lift somewhere but if not I will stay here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

More info - this time I pressed cancel (usually the water drains out before I would press cancel) and started it again.

The drum did turn slowly a couple of times, however nothing since.

ok switch the appliance off and come back to me when you're home Im here for the rest of the evening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back

OK at this point can I establish that the machine was seen working prior to you purchasing it or that you have used it and it was fully working during your use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. Never seen it working

OK can you start the program off and leave it, if there is a fault it should come up with a series of flashing/solid lights on the front. Let me have them if they appear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid not. The water goes in, the timer shows on the LED display, it makes that low noise, then as the H2O starts flashing it pumps the water out, those two things occur at the same time.

The only other lights are the "washing" light and "door locked" light which stay constant all the way through.

I'm not optimistic right now.

OK I need you to do this, its abit fiddly but it will exclude something for me, switch the water off, undo the supply pipe at the rear of the appliance and put it in the soap dispenser, switch the appliance on and start it and then fill it through the soap dispenser by turning on the water supply keep an eye on the levels, it should only fill to just above the door rubber before it starts. Once started switch the water off and see what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ian

Apologies for not getting back to you last night, I was in bed early!

I'll give this a go tonight. Thanks for your perseverance here.

No worries I'm around most of the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok did that. So it did start to turn slowly.

I have stopped the water. Closed the tray.

it will occasionally turn but most f time its just sat there making the noise.

has only been on ten mins so far but will turn a few revolutions every few seconds.

do you think water is not getting from the inlet to tu drum?

Yes, that is what I am thinking but what we have to establish and this is where a mains tester or multimeter comes in, is does the water inlet valve have a fault or is it the main board that has failed which supplies power to said inlet valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well it's been doing the same thing for the last 30 mins now. It's not stepped up it's spin speed or anything. I don't know if that suggests the board more than the valve?

OK which program have you selected is it a 60 or 90 centigrade wash? With this washing machine it can take up to two hours to perform a wash so the agitation is normal but is it heating the water hence the program selection question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's a 40deg wash.

It does seem to be suck on the same cycle, sit there and hum for about 30-40 secs then turn slowly for about 20 secs.

Can you confirm that it is rotating both clockwise and anticlockwise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It goes anti clockwise, then clock wise, then anti clickwise, then sits there for 30-40 secs.

OK have you established where the buzz comes from, is it the water inlet valve wanting to put more water in the tub?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well for the last ten mins it's been on "rinse and spin" and hasn't been making the noise.

It seems to be going through the programs, the spin has picked up a bit now.

I'll keep an eye on it and check to see if I can pinpoint the sound next time around.

It's good to know that I can at least use it just by putting water into the tray. I had run out of clean clothes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's flashing H2O again now.

It did seem to start making that straining noise again. And it did sound like it was coming from that pump/motor thing which is at the rear right of the machine, when looking at it form the back.

The drum did turn once or twice when I was listening and the noise didn't change, which suggests it's not that motor.

Is the tub empty of water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if by tub you mean the bit where the clothe are then yes. I did put it to the drain program.

OK why did you put it to the drain program?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

because it had finished. I wanted to know if it would work. I thought if the pump wasn't functioning it wouldn't.

ought I not have?

OK let me just briefly explain, the washing machine fills with water either four or five times during its program sequence. That is once for wash and three or four times to rinse. Because of this it has four/five opportunities to indicate that the water is not getting in. It seems that the pump, motor, are working fine but we need to find out why its not filling. You have two ways of doing this, either buy a two probe mains tester or else a cheap multimeter from Maplins or similar or you can take a chance and replace the valve in the knowledge that it might be the main pcb and you may have wasted your money on the valve. Whichever way you take I think at this point we have gone as far as we can online until you either get the test equipment or a valve.