George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a hotpoint CDT80 condenser clothes dryer. the drum

HI i have a hotpoint CDT80 condenser clothes dryer. the drum is not moving, i have checked the belt it is ok. the power comes on but the motor does not move and there is a buzzing sound once on. the heater element comes on ok. there is no burning smell from the motor either.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is George..
Do you still need help with this?
Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I still need help. I've been waiting for a reply.
Do you have tools to take off the lid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've taken the lid and right hand side panel off and have access to the motor. Like I said you turn the dryer on but the motor is not moving. The heater element comes on!
And there is a click sound as if it's going to turn the drum that is but it just hums
Yes.. remove the lid and press the start button, but whilst doing so, spin the drum by hand... Tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Once you push it by hand give it a kick start it then works! But once it stops to turn the drum in the opposite direction it then stops working again. Something simple I hope?
Ok, unplug the appliance and take off the right hand side panel...
To do this there are a number of screws at the rear edge, one screw at the top front, and sometimes but not always one screw on the underneath edge.
Once you have the panel removed you'll be able to see the motor. On the side of the motor is a large cylindrical capacitor. This capacitor needs removing and replacing. The capacitor should (If memory serves me correctly) be an 8uf capacitor; make sure you replace it with the same value.
Please rate the assistance given by me & feel free to ask for further advice should you need it.
regards
George
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have ordered the new part via e spares, i did notice on the old part there were no visable signs showing + or - /so when the new one arrives i may need help in where to attach the wires if it has no labels or markings. i did take a photo of the old one before i removed it.
Thanks for you help george.
Ok.. I will await your return
regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have eventually received the part ! But it has no markings as to what wires go where? Can you help please. Or does it not matter ? MEANING LIKE A 2 PIN PLUG. Each wire set as 2 wires each connected to 1 female connector each. Hope that makes sense.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have watched a video on you tube and have fixed it but thank you very much for you help