Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My oil boiler man says it would be difficult to replace my

Customer Question

My oil boiler man says it would be difficult to replace my existing and now defunct 30-year old boiler. The fumes go up the chimney, where it is situated in the kitchen. We cannot fit one that sends the exhaust horizontally because we've got cupboards where the pipes would go and then a conservatory that goes right across the back of the house. I'm wondering how correct he is. Is it possible to get a modern oil boiler that just slots into the same position that the old one occupies and uses a chimney? Can't afford it anyway but I was planning to strip out all the radiators. However, we are missing the heated towel rail in the bathroom terribly and thinking we might keep it or try and find a way of changing it to electric (we have solar panels, log burner and air to air heater).
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - the issue for you is that the new boiler has to be installed to comply with the latest regulations not those in operation 30 years ago. I have attached a link which gives you some indication of what work would have to be done to bring you up to date. The boiler as such is not the problem its the flue/chimney - http://www.oftec.org/Media/Default/DocGalleries/Technical%20Book%20Four%20Updates/OFTEC_TechnicalBook4_AMD_04_0413_16.pdf - Ian