George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Should my oven be dropping by 10 degrees or more when in

should my oven be dropping by 10 degrees or more when in use ?It gets to the required heat the the red light comes on and it takes ages to reheat again and I am realky fed up of getting uncooked food out of the oven and having to throw it out .I have had numerous visits from engineers but have been told that there is nothing they can do and I have to put up with it .
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Can you tell me the model code and product number please?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

zcv561DW

Thank you Christine... I am going to base my answers generically across the three versions of that model number.

This model is a double cavity cooker that has a single element in the fan oven.. The element is a 2000w element which should reheat reasonably quickly when the power to it is called for (Red light on).

Can you tell me the length of time that it takes to re-heat the oven once the oven neon re-indicates? Be as exact as you can with your answer please.

Can you also tell me if there is any heat escape from around the door edges whilst the oven is on?

There is still room in the electrical calculation to upgrade the element to a 2400w.. This will make the oven faster when heating. However, it is best to rule-out any causing faults before examining this possibility.

regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it takes 8 minutes to reach 180 degrees ,light stayed off for 3 -4 mins then red light came back on and stayed on for 4 mins before going off again .I did not open the oven door while it was on .There is heat felt at the top of the door but the seal is intact .Iforgot to say that there seems to be no heat in the oven even the foil that covers the food is never warm .

Christine, there should not be any heat escaping from the top of the door on an appliance with a full seal when the door is closed. To test the seal, put a piece of paper between the door and the seal, and whilst the door is closed, pull the paper gently to see if there is any resistance against you pulling.
If there is no resistance, I can only assume that the seal is not sealing against the door. This factor would need investigating.
-------------------------------------------------
You have said that there is no heat on the foil that you have on the food.. I do find this strange, and once more I would say this needs investigation.. This is a fan oven; fan ovens have a fan in them which distributes the heat throughout the oven cavity, so all areas of the cavity get to a near equal temperature.

Ensure the fan is operating whilst the oven is in operation.
Ensure that you are pre-heating the cavity before you cook food in it.
8 minutes from cold to 180 degs is indeed too long to heat a small cavity.. The time taken to reach 180 degs should be approx 6 mins and then between approx 2 mins to return to state following the red neon coming on to re-heat.
This could be caused by heat escaping the oven cavity as suggested above, or by a weak element that requires a change, or a combination of both.
regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Domestic and General have said they will replace this cooker and repair agents should have done over a year ago .

Excellent Christine.. I hope that my advice has helped you..

Please rate the assistance given by me & feel free to come back to request further advice if you need it.

regards
George
Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair