Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have an elderly Washer-Dryer Machine (Zanussi WJD 1667 W),

I have an elderly Washer-Dryer Machine (Zanussi WJD 1667 W), which still works fine, but now has a screeching noise at times, especially during the high speed spin. I no longer have any maintenance agreement, because of its age. Please could you let me know what you think could be the problem and whether it is repairable. Many Thanks.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - it will either be the drum bearings that are failing or less likely the motor bearings. If you take off the belt and run a spin cycle if its the motor, if that is noise free and you replace the belt and spin and you have the noise then its the drum bearings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ian .... I am not sure how to reach the belt - I am not a technician. Could you advise how to find the belt? How much of the casing do I have to remove?
Give me a moment and I will see what type of drum it is fitted with. OK how handy are you with tools?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at all handy, but my partner is fairly good with them! If you could give me the details, I will pass them on to him and see if he feels that he can do it!
OK when he is free get him to call me on ~07748928831 and I will talk you through it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian
Many thanks for your email. I have had a chat with my partner and we have now looked up drum bearing replacement on YouTube. It seems to be quite a dificult undertaking and he is not happy to try to do it unless/until absolutely necessary! So we have now decided to let the machine continue until it actually breaks down! Then we will look again at the possibility of fixing it! Or, failing that, just buying a new machine!
I will be happy to rate you now.
Best Wishes, Terri.
Hi Terri - I fully understand, its quite a major job and it takes me at least an hour and a half and I've done hundreds of them. Quite honestly, unless you really love the machine and the way it works I would likely take the same decision. If you would now kindly rate my service using the smiley faces below so that I can shut down the job I would be grateful. If you need any further advice come back to me later. Have a great Sunday - Ian