Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I bought a Hotpoint WD440G 1400 RPM washing machine from Currys

Customer Question

I bought a Hotpoint WD440G 1400 RPM washing machine from Currys in Sheffield in 2008 and the 5 year guarantee has run out. I put a quick wash on earlier today and when the cycle had finished the door would not open. The handle on the door looks faulty. I tried running the cycle again to see if it would clear, but it wouldn't so can't get my washing out! HELP!
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries ~ first question is there still water in the appliance or did it spin out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Ian, All water looks as though it has spun out OK.

OK how good are you with a screwdriver and do you have a metal coat hanger?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not great with DIY! Will have a go if you think it will solve the problem quickly. I have screwdrivers and a metal coat hanger.

OK are you able to take the top off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No chance, I'm pushing 70 and on chemo for leukaemia at the moment! Haven't got the strength to pull machine out from under work top for a start!

Maybe if you could give me the instructions I could ask my son to come round?

OK perhaps we can try and do it another way, can you cut up a piece of the wire coat hanger and taking an 8" piece bend about 1/2" at the end to 90 degrees. If not let me know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK will try now Ian.

The door catch is shaped like an L that faces toward the side of the washing machine, if you can you need to push the bent end of the wire in the catch side of the door between the door and the front panel and see if you can force back the L shaped catch. This should allow you to open the door, if not my number is #07748 928831 and I will talk your son through doing it later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK Ian, will ask him, but know he can't come this evening. Maybe tomorrow? Thanks for your contact info and for trying to help me.

Thats OK catch up with me tomorrow, I will be around after 5pm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He's got a big party on tomorrow evening for 40 people for 'Guy Fawkes, but I will see if he can come round during the day and try what you've suggested and if it doesn't work I can ring you tomorrow evening if that's OK?

Ring me anytime during the day I'll make sure I have my phone in my pocket.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Th

A pleasure