Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My washing machine model is wae28364gb/19 I'm getting an f17

Customer Question

My washing machine model is wae28364gb/19
I'm getting an f17 error but water pressure is fine and inlet valve is perfect. Could there be any other cause?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - F17 is a water fill problem. Check the following ~
Check water supply to the washing machine is on
Check fill hose is not kinked
Check inlet valve filter
Check water inlet valve is not faulty
check for a blocked pressure switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the water pressure switch located
Means the tap, just out of interest you say that the inlet valves are OK, how did you check them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ian. I took the inlet valve to an appliance repair shop and had them check it. This afternoon I checked the water pressure valve and it wasn't blocked. Could it be a faulty pressure switch? Gerry
OK can you confirm that when you start up the appliance there is power getting to the valve, more likely this than the pressure switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian,I can confirm power is going to the inlet valve. We ran a wash today. Programme stopped with F17 error and door is stuck and kitchen flooded. We can re-open the door by activating the "spin" programme. Any ideas? Gerry
OK how did you end up with water flooding the kitchen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Ian. My wife has just explained that she let the water out at the bottom of the machine. She says the machine is retaining water and she let the water out to be bale to proceed to the spin programme and finish the wash. Gerry
OK does it pump out the water if you put it on spin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No my wife doesn't think so.
OK clear any water in the drum, put down towels, remove the filter and switch it on to spin and look with a torch into the filter housing and you should see the pump impeller going around fairly fast - come back to me with your results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian, I've done that and the impeller is going around fast. What next? Gerry
OK next thing is to establish if you have a blockage in the pipe, this can be from the sump of the washing machine to the pump, or from the pump to the drain hose. In both cases you will have to take the pipes off and flush them out. Quite often you can get a sock stuck in the sump hose, or a 1p piece stuck in the drain hose which obstructs the water from being pumped out. Not a quick job I'm afraid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian. Checked everything and I cant find any blockages. Gerry
From what you have told me so far the washing machine seems to not be pumping out, the only thing that can cause this is a faulty pump, or blocked drain pipe area. An example is if a 1p coin gets in the grey corrigated pipe it works like a butterfly valve and will close when water forces against it. You have to literally put a bamboo cane or similar down the pipe to be sure it is clear not just blow down it. On the sump hose side a sock can get stuck and block it up. If these are clear then you only have the pump or the electric to the pump that can be the problem. You have to check both ends of the hoses not just one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian I've taken a break from my washing machine for a while as the problem was proving so frustrating. I think the flooding problem was due to me not replacing the pump properly so with this fixed I did a few tests today. I tried to operate the "wash plus" programme at 90 degrees. It's time for 2:15. Anyway I opened the detergent tray to see if water enters and it does. The machine went on to agitate and pump out water but then stopped at about 1:58 with an F17 error. No water entered the detergent tray. Gerry
We seem to be going around in circles here, once again we get a fill fault. If you put it on wash plus you will get a prewash in cold water and then it should fill through the other valve which it seems not to be doing. Can you put it on a rinse cycle and tell me if it fills please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian. Sorry my fault! I'm not sure how to put on a rinse cycle on my machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian how do I put on the rinse cycle?
If you put it on the quick wash it will work, as it fills with cold water too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian I ran "super quick" programme and I got an F17 error. I also ran the "cold" programme and it seemed to work fine.
OK Gerry if you want to figure this out the only way is to check things with a multimeter as just guessing without the clear information to hand is just wasting time. You need to either borrow one or buy one (about £15 in maplins) and I can take you through how to use it and we can get some results that make sense.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a multimeter. What do I test?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 12 months ago.
OK can you switch it to resistance and put a probe in each side of the water inlet valve and tell me what resistance you have?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ian I did this already and the valve is ok. All cold wash programmes work. Could it be a water heater problem?
If you place it on a hot wash does it fill with water?