Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a old matag frdge freezer series 17447221ZD and the

Hi I have a old matag frdge freezer series 17447221ZD and the door freezer is leaking water is this something I can fix?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
water is trickling out from the base of the door and every morning there is a huge puddle
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the full model number please.
Also is there ice on the very bottom of the freezer inside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have defrosted it
the model series is 17447221ZD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fridge is not plumbed into any water supply as we dont use the cold water and ice dispenser
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Model numbers usually starts off with letters then numbers do you see anything like that on the rating plate inside the fridge section?
If not then is this a side by side appliance?
After defrosting it does the fault come back again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes still leaking after defrosting
M11 GC228EEDB/17
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its still leaking and the water isnt turned on then the drain hole for the defrost water in the freezer will be blocked up causing the water to overflow inside the freezer and leak out the door.
What you need to do on this is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel inside the freezer.
Behind there you will see the evaporator and under this will be the drain channel with the drain hole in the middle.
Chip out the ice from there and then pore boiling water into the hole and melt the ice in there.
Then you need to poke something down the drain hole as this can get clogged up so make sure its clear and test it by poring water in there and make sure the water drains away.
Once clear refit the back panel and this will cure the fault from there and stop it from leaking.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleared that and it drains away but the door still leaks there is a pipe to the door do you know what that is?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The pipe to the door is the water feed pipe from the water chamber inside the fridge to the dispenser unit in the door.
But if the water supply is turned off to the appliance then water cannot leak from there as thats part of the water system.
If you remove the bottom basket inside the freezer is there ice under there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no ice as all defrosted and the water is definitely coming from the hinge side of the door
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does something freeze within the door?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could I disconnect the pipe to the door as we will never plumb it in?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Nothing should freeze between the door itself but the odd time i have see the ice dispenser flap break and this causes mositure to form around the door.
Open the freezer door and were the ice goes through the flap in the freezer door look down the chute and see if this is sealed against the door and theres no gaps there which you can see through and let me know.
As to that pipe yes you can disconnect it as all you do is were the connector is push the end piece in and at the same time pull the hose and it will come out. But if the water isnt turned on then that wont make any difference at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well the flap is intact so I have decided to seal up the ice hatch and hope that the water that has found it's way into the door will run out eventually. I have disconnected the pipe and so I will keep fingers crossed this will stop leaking water. If you think of anything else will you let me know?