Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

What is causing my lg frost free fridge freezer to have ice

what is causing my lg frost free fridge freezer to have ice forming at the bottom of the freezer?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - are you finding the water under the bottom freezer basket/draw?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am finding a sheet of ice.
OK can you give me the model number of your fridge/freezer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LGE GR399SQ
OK inside the freezer at the back behind the draws is a cover with a fan fitted to it, this is where all the cooling for the unit is distributed. The system works on a cooling, rest and defrosting cycle that keeps the cooling plate called an evaporator clear of ice. During a defrost cycle this plate is quickly heated by a heating element to melt off any ice and this resultant water directed into a container on top of the motor outside. If for any reason the tube that transfers the water into the container freezes up the water subsequently overflows and congregates under the bottom drawer where it freezes into the sheet of ice you refer to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the likely cause of the water pipe freezing up and can it be accessed easily?
Its a case of defrosting the unit, taking the back panel off making sure the drain hole is clear and checking that the heater and its sensors are working. The crucial thing here is to make sure it is defrosted first as the covers are very brittle at -20C. You can take your time as the ice does not stop the unit from working just is abit annoying. I would run your frozen food down and when you have it nearly empty shut it off for 24 hours with the door open. Just be aware that if you switch it off you lose the cooling in the fridge too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. I looked at the back and it looked like a sealed unit and I was unsure if it could be unscrewed.
Its abit of a fiddle but it comes off. Could you now kindly rate the information given to you using the smiley faces below, once done all further questions are free of charge but it allows me to shut down the job on the system. Many thanks for using JA - Ian