Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Refrigerator 13 years old is working but is too cold and the

Customer Question

Refrigerator 13 years old is working but is too cold and the motor is noisy intermittently
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - almost sure to be a thermostat problem, can you give me the product code or pnc and model number and I will check parts availability for you.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model ZI 920/8 FF, Type B257726, Product No 925 771 670-01, Series No 345 000 55. I mentioned in my question the noisy motor, is this fixable.
Let me explain how the motor is constructed. In effect the motor is just an electric pump which is hung inside a black sealed container by three springs. Over a period of time the springs become loose and the pump starts to occasionally rattle on the side of the container or the rubber shock absorbers under the motor go hard and more noise than before is transferred to the cabinet. Other than moving it around until the noise stops there isn't much you can do.
On the second point re the thermostat, could you advise if you can see the cold plate in the refrigerator or is it behind the plastic cover?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the cold plate?
OK have you got a metal plate at the back of the refrigerator compartment visible or is it just a white plastic liner that you can see behind the shelves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
White plastic liner
OK you can use the following thermostat as a replacement for the manufacturers item if you have difficulty sourcing the original equipment.
Ranco VX0
If you have difficulty sourcing either item let me know and I will source one for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need someone with experience in repairing fridges to come and repair mine. Sourcing a thermostat is not helpful unless somebody is going to fit it! It's very obvious that a fridge that is too cold requires a new thermostat but to charge £16 for this advice is rather expensive. What I want is my fridge repaired. Why is that so difficult?
This is not difficult at all, had you asked me to find you a repairer at the start - this site is generally occupied with helping people fix their own appliances but if you give me your postcode I will get you a couple of companies in your area that can help you.