Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I am going to renew the door interlock on my Creda washing

I am going to renew the door interlock on my Creda washing machine. I have removed the top of the machine and located the interlock but it appears to be difficult to access as it is very close to the drum. ie very difficult to get a screw driver in there.Would please give me some guidence as to how I go about the job. Thanks. Ken
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The best way to replace the door lock is from the front of the washer with the door open.
What you need to do is open the door and look at the top you will see a grey square plastic block.
Use a small flat screwdriver and pop this out and remove the metal band from around the seal.
Then unlip the door seal from the right hand side.
Now you can remove the 2 screws holding the plastic plate on and then you can pull the door lock through the door port hole and swap it over from there.
Thats the best and easy way to do this. If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is, we cannot open the door, so I cannot follow your instructions. How can I open the door or is there another way?
There are clothes inside that we cannot get out, but thankfully no water.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok if you cannot open the door then it makes it a bit harder. What you can try first if you haven't is give the door handle a good bang with the side of your fist as if its a jammed door lock this can sometimes shocks the door into opening. But if this fails then I'm afraid you need to do it from the top.Look down the front on the inside on the right.Make sure its unplugged and reach down to the lock and feel the far left.There you will feel the metal door pin.You need to push this to the left and at the same time pull the door and it will open from there. But try the banging first on the handle as if this doesn't work then the only other way to do it is from the top on the inside. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Daniel. I will try this today and let you know how I get on. Ken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel
I've replaced the door interlock following your instructions but in addition I had to release the front panel of the machine so I could get behind it to move the pin. However what seemed to be a very successful job has not worked out well. The machine will not switch on! We are plugged in, switched on at the wall and I've checked the fuse. I only disconnected the 3 wires to the interlock and replaced them exactly how they were. I have not removed any other wires. This is baffling as we checked that the machine was working before starting the job and the only thing wrong was the door would not unlock. When we switch the machine on with the machine switch the red light does not come on and the whole thing seems completely dead.
I'm wondering , does the machine have a reset switch? Could it be anything else? The door seems to close and latch ok. How critical is this? I've double checked that the door seal is put back ok and tight.
I wonder if you could throw any further light on this. Very frustrating.
Ken
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Ok if its not starting then it will only be the door lock or the timer unit. Im taking it you have wired it up correctly? If so then you need to remove the front plastic control panel and from there remove the screws holding the timer on and pull it to the side and look on the circuit board side of the timer towards the front at the bottom and see if theres any signs of burning on there.As in the past ive had it were the timer blows and it burns on the tracking and that can sometimes cause the door lock to fail. So check that and see if theres any signs of burning on the timer unit and if so then that will need to be replaced as well im afraid. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Daniel
I'll give it a go and let you know
Ken
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
No worries Ken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel
No such luck. I've checked everything and it refuses to work so I'm going to have to buy a new machine.
Just as a point of interest. Having removed the door interlock I noticed that on the back of it there is a section of sprung plastic which, when held in the hand and pressed releases the door interlock and subsequently the catch. So I believe that in future if the interlock fails and the door jams in the locked position, it can be released by pressing this section of sprung plastic. It looks a bit like a paper clip. Anyway no more to be said. Pity it didn't work out well.
Thanks for your advice
Ken