Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a De Dietrich frig installed 18 years ago which gives

We have a De Dietrich frig installed 18 years ago which gives good service. In the last few days the door has failed to close fully, OK at the bottom but about 5mm remaining open at the top. I have taken everything out but still not closing properly. I have tightened the hinge screws but dare not touch the hinge adjusting screws. We get the impression the door has warped slightly, but can't find any reason.
Will be grateful for ideas please. Many thanks.
Model RG 8280 E 41. Type 1 0033 1. Index 10B FQ 7505.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - is it an integrated or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, integrated.
OK you have two problems, it is almost sure to be the hinge assemblies that have weakened and now can no longer hold the door shut. I have had a look around the spare parts sites and I can find non of them that supply hinges for this model although that is not to say that they can't be sourced elsewhere. The likelihood that the door has twisted is much more remote. The best way to find out is to take of the wooden door and see it the door closes without the extra load.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Ian - not as straightforward as I had hoped. I will take the outer door off tomorrow and check, but don't feel this is the answer. If the hinges have weakened it probably means a new frig. I don't feel I am winning!
I am sure that we can find some hinges for you rather a shame to scrap a vintage model.