Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi zdc 68560w tumble dryer and it is not switching on - the control panel

Hi I have a Zanussi zdc 68560w tumble dryer and it is not switching on - the control panel is unresponsive and none of the LEDs or the display is working.
Can you help?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
If the power supply is okay to the dryer then it's more than likely the control board that's failed.
What you need to do is remove the top of the dryer and at the back you will see the mains filter where the power cable comes to. Make sure that hasn't burnt out and if you have a test meter you need to check there is power going to it.
If that is okay then you need to follow the wires from the mains filter to the back of the control board and again with your test meter check there is power there.
If you have power going to the back of the control board but no lights coming on and the control board is faulty and will need to be replaced. It's quite a common fault on these as I have replaced loads of them in the past for the same fault
Sorry is not good news but if you need any more information just get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your advice. Could you give me a bit of guidance on how you'd go about testing for power at the different points?I have a basic multimeter but have not used it for mains electric (only on the car). Would a non contact voltage tester be a safer option?Best regards
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
If you have a non contact voltage tester that would be better. As if you have never live tested before I wont recommend it as you need to set the meter to the correct setting otherwise you will blow the meter and more likely the fuse so a none contact tester will be better as you can check if theres voltage to the board from there. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice - used the tester and there is power all the way up to the board behind the control panel (is this the main board? There is another on the right hand side)Looks to be £150 for a replacement so might not be economical - do you know if anyone refurbishes them?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
HiOk the main control board will be the fault here in afraid. The smaller board you see is the humidity control board so ignore that. I'm afraid there is in many places that actually refurbish Zannusi control boards so I dont actually know of any I'm afraid. That's £150 it's probably not even worth repairing your best off getting a new dryer. Sorry it's not good news but if you need any more information just get back to me Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thanks for confirming – at least we know where we stand with it now. Do you have any recommendations regarding a more reliable replacement brand? We only had 4 years out of the Zanussi.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
To be honest most modern dryers are pretty much the same as each other nowadays they don't last all that long compare to the older models. But for a decent dryer you can try either the indesit of the hotpoints as they both the same dries anyway. That's probably what I would go for if I was getting a new dryer
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.