George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Zanussi dishwasher ZT685

Customer Question

Zanussi dishwasher ZT685Didn't srain properly last time.Drained it out tried again tried to start in rince , but after a couple of attempts stopped. Rinnce and hold and intensive light flashing rapidly Checked drain , water supply and filters all good Any thoughts
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is George..

Of the 5 Programme LEDs, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; which ones are flashing?

Kindly be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was clear in my initial message

the ones identified - rinse and hold , and intensive,

Its taken 5 hours for a response asking a question I've already answered

This is not a good service

To then try and get more money by asking for a phone conversation under the offer of extra help is inaccurate as there has been NO help, this makes me suspect there is no value here

I am becoming very suspicious of just answer

Can you help

Mike.. I have only just logged on, and seen that your question was not answered, so I started the process of gathering info in order that I can assess your issue. I am not in front of your appliance... I did not ask what the names of the LEDs where, I asked what numbers they were; given that LED1 is left and LED5 is right.

As for the email... That is incase you wish to accept the offer of chatting by phone or getting documents for the appliance... Do not accept this if you do not want it.

I can try help, if you give me what I have asked for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We need some clarity - if you use 1to 5 then you have to say where we start counting from - isn't the name more accurate

Anyhow there is a total of 8 led's

Starting with the on / off and below that a salt led

Then continuing from left to right 6 leds - starting with the rinse and hold - and finishing with end of cycle of them 6 1&2 are flashing

Please let me know how you are numbering them and if this makes sense to you - if not you have the names maybe that can help

Here is an image of the control panel that I have for your machine... as I said '5 Programme LEDs'

Please indicate which are flashing on your appliance when it faulters

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

your image is not as my control panel

my control panel has the names for the function - as I said before - rinse and hold and intensive - are flashing

Are sw1 and sw2 corresponding to those functions in your manual ?

The positions sw1& sw2 are the ones flashing BUT identified as a function as previous note

hope this clarifies

Mike, that is the machine fault code for the impeller of the drain pump being restricted or blocked, or the power to it being faultered.

Effectively, it means that either due to a restriction of debris; a failure of the motor; or a lack of power from the pcb, the pump cannot turn.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ,

so can we confirm which or is there anything else we can do.

is pump change reasonable or feasible

Mike, I would open the pump to see if there is a restriction that is stopping the pumps impeller rotating..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok George

how do I go about that

also if there was debris causing a blockage it would have to get past the filters wouldn't it - is that likely ?

if an impeller has failed I guess that is a new pump

any idea on cost etc - is that an easy fix ?

You would normally, after ensuring there is no water in the appliance, access the drain pump by removing the panel underneath the appliance and after releasing the locking tab and twisting the outer of the pump, which will remove the pump motor and the impeller from the housing, you can check if there is any restriction to the impeller turn.

Debris can get past the filter system of the appliance to enter the wash pump or the drain pump.

Debris in the pump would not necessarily damage the pump.

I have just checked and the original drain pump is obsolete for this model, however, there is likely to be a compatible available and at not such a great cost, but the cost would depend on where you obtained it.. Notwithstanding this, as I have already stated,
debris in the pump would not necessarily damage the pump.

regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

I will look into removing the bottom panal , I guess from that description it is the base of the dishwasher so I will , remove the unit and see what I find

OK, I hope that is a good enough description for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looks like it will have to be

You will find that it is a fairly easy process... Just be sure to disconnect the appliance from the mains before attempting any work, and have a large towel to assist in removing any residual water spill from the components as you dismantle them.