Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Smeg PTV 705 gas hob auto ignition keeps sparking even when

Smeg PTV 705 gas hob auto ignition keeps sparking even when gas burning
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you advise, if you take off the knobs (all of them) does the sparking stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it still continues to spark, I have removed all the knobs and rubber seals and hoovered out any debris
OK let me check the parts list and I'll come back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for an answer
OK how handy are you with handtools? I have your answer but it entails taking off the facial panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am good with hand tools
OK first thing to do is take off all the knobs and with a hair dryer in turn go down each hole with the dryer giving it a minute or so into each. Then come back to me - then test to see if this has cured the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry not been in touch, been away on business a fe days last week. Tried the hairdryer but no change
OK in that case you have a problem with the switching string that fits behind the facia assembly, one of the switches is shorting out and causing this to happen. You will have to take off the top of the appliance and its front facia panel which will give you access to the switch string which will need replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide the part before I strip the job down,how is to glass top secured or do I have to remove complete assembly thanks
I can give you the part number tomorrow when I get to work but unfortunately I cannot instruct you on the products strip down as this is a gas oven and you require a gas safe engineer to carry out the repair. I am sorry about this but that is the law.