Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have ffa71 fridge freezer and the light freezer

Customer Question

i have ffa71 fridge freezer and the light for high freezer temperature is coming on almost constant. we have tried putting temp up to 5 and down to 3 - result the same.
the defrost alert light is now on. any ideas please
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi What you will find is the evaporator inside the freezer will be blocked with ice sopping the air flow and causing this problem you have. What you need to do is empty the freezer and from there remove the back panel in the freezer.Behind there you will see the evaporator. If this is all blocked with ice you need to use a hairdryer and fully melt it away.Once that's clear refit the panels and retry it and fingers crossed that's cured it. But if you don't want to go removing panels and then you need to empty the freezer again and turn it and leave the freezer door open for 24-48 hours and this will allow the ice to melt itself in there so place a towel in there. Then once clear retry it and see how it goes. If it happens again in say 3 weeks time then theres a fault on the automatic defrost side so you will need to check the defrost heater itself and replace it faulty. So try the above and im sure that will be the cause of the problem here. Regards
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi we removed the panel cleaned the back water tray etc but the light is still on. Any ideas?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok was there a lot of ice behind the panel in the freezer?
If you look at the evaporator in the freezer again with the panel removed is then ice all around this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there was hardly any ice
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok if you feel the compressor at the back at the bottom is it hot to touch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay in asking the hubbie as he did it last night and he's at work. Apparently yes it was hot to the touch
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ok not good news im afraid. If theres no cooling problery and the compressor is hot then it will be a system fault here. This will be either the compressor or short of gas in there.But for either of them you will need to get a fridge engineer in as this isn't a diy repair. As they will need to put there gauges on the pipe work at the back to see whats happening in there. But this isn't a cheap repair as a compressor is about £250 fitted and a regas is about £140 so both are not really worth paying for im afraid, Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help - it's what we feared. Hope it can plod on till we get a new one then lol
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome, Hopefully you can :)