Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Bosch WFB2005 washing machine. On start up inlet water overflows

Customer Question

Bosch WFB2005 washing machine. On start up inlet water overflows dispenser tray onto floor. It doesn't always do this and generally not when into cycle and a demand for new water is required. I've cleaned the tray and the holes in the roof. It then worked fine but reverts in subsequent washes. The inlet hot and cold fill valves seem to be ok. I've checked the outlet pipe in the housing which drains to the drum. There appears no restriction. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - whats is your water pressure like, low or high?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Measured some years ago in kitchen 3.5 bar. This pressure has not caused any problem. The machine has run perfectly since installation from new. Removing machine top cover reveals a Bowden cable arrangement connected to a lever on the electronic programme switch one end and a movable quadrant at the other end. This quadrant can move through 4 positions and appears to be adjustable via a lever which has set positions on it located by a pin on the lever. Below the quadrant is some sort of adjustment I think for the incoming water. Does this need resetting do you think?
Not unless you have adjusted it, what is more likely is that the soap powder top grid is blocked internally which is forcing water out at an angle during some fill operations. Usually this means that you have to change this part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By running the machine and partially opening the drawer you can see three quite powerful jets of water going vertically down into the middle compartment so I don't think water direction is the problem. Any other suggestions? What does the Bowden cable connected to the programmer do?
The bowden cable directs the jets of water to left, right or central depending upon the cam action of the timer. If I were you I would close down the water supply tap which will reduce the water pressure and tip the appliance slightly back so that the flows into the dispenser back. The only other thing that can cause this is blocked distributor top or blocked/partially blocked soap dispenser to tub hose, working on the principle that you have checked that the fabric conditioner section is not blocked and unable to syphon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't use the fabric conditioner part. I'll try reducing inlet water pressure. I'll see about removing distributor top and cleaning thoroughly. Cleaning it in situ did work but for a short time only. You might be right the key to the problem lies here. I'll let you know. Thanks so far.
In my experience cleaning the distributor is always a short term fix, to do it right you need to replace it.