Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Why do the two back burners not light using the piezo electric

Why do the two back burners not light using the piezo electric button?
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you let me have the product code please - its a long number on the rating label.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the rating label but there is a Product Code on the Delivery Note: 10555G_WH. is this right?
No it should be in the door frame of the oven or on the back. And will begin either 4, 5 or sometimes 7 a long number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*********** is on the back as "Ind code"
Have you got a model number on the front/facia panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10555G is on back and the similar number I sent first is on documentation - only number on front inside is a telephone number!
OK managed to navigate through to what I need - OK let me briefly explain how it all works, there is a spark generator at the back of the appliance that generates a spark at the electrodes when the piezo is pushed. The spark generator is a one piece construction unit so in theory if one of the electrodes light so should all of the other, this then leaves the following faults, a. the electrode is dirty. b. the electrode is faulty. c. the cable to the electrode has come off or is damaged. d. the spark generator is faulty. Now my next question to you is how comfortable are you having a go at fault finding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am comfortable with fault finding. Please note I have gently brushed the igniters as recommended in the user manual. Also, I am concerned that it is TWO igniters which are affected. Does this indicate the back burners are disconnected from electricity?
This is what we are about to find out, I need you to unscrew one of the working electrodes and gently lift it out bringing the cable with it. Now tape up the connector/cable ensuring that it is not touching any metal and can't fall back below the top. Once this is done take out one of the non working electrodes and disconnect and reconnect the working electrode(just removed) in its place. Refit in the hole and screw down. Check and see if you have a spark and come back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This might be beyond me. I can't see how to unscrew the electrodes. I haven't removed the top of the cooker and the electrodes don't unscrew by hand.
The electrodes are held in place by one screw but over time do get corroded and stiff. If however you need an engineer to call out give me your postcode and I will find one local to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No screw even visible. I may need an engineer.
Post code: SE22 8DX
Here is a photo.
Ah its the old type, could you give me a pic of the top of the unit and then if you want to go further I can try and navigate you through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just sent you a jpeg of the electrode poking out of the unit. Here is the whole top:
OK if we take this further you are going to have to take the top off are you happy to do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might be able to do that but the final result of checking the TWO electrodes will probably be that they are disconnected from the power source. It is unlikely that both electrodes would fail at the same time. Shall I just light the burners with matches till I have time to get an engineer or a new cooker?!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen my reply of 12.21?
I don't have time today to take the top off my cooker if, in the end, I need an engineer/electrician to reconnect the two electrodes.
I guess the issue for you is to decide if you want to have a go or not. If not then I will find you an engineer that can take off the top and check the electrodes for you replacing them if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be better to get a local engineer in case I make a mess of it and end up with no way to cook supper! I can light the burners with matches or spills.
SE22 8DX
OK thats fine, now that our conversation is concluded would kindly rate the information given you by using the smiley faces below, this lets me close down the job on the system whilst giving you access to further information on a free of charge basis. Thanks you for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh dear. There are no smiley faces on this page.
Have you found any recommended local engineers?
OK you must have the latest version which uses stars instead in the top corner. The guy that should be able to solve your problem - John Pereira Serac Engineer on 08448 844528
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.