Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Hoover VHC681B. The heating element got very hot

Hi. I have a Hoover VHC681B. The heating element got very hot and then packed up. The dryer then wouldn't do a cycle. After checking the Web out I bought a new heater element. The dryer now completes a cycle without stopping but no heat coming from the element. I've had the dryer in bits to make sure there are no blockages etc. Pcb at fault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should add that when the cycle is over all the lights are flashing constantly.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - it could be the heater but have you checked that you have continuity from the board, through the heater and back to the board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked the continuity through the wires that connect to the board and go to the heater etc.
All seems fine just no heat. Other than the pcb would any of the sensors be at fault?
Have several which I've removed and cleaned. Can these be tested somehow?
OK if you remove the heater connectors and then test across the terminals with the dryer running do you have mains output.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. Limit of my knowledge I'm afraid. Neighbour checked continuity earlier for me but has gone to work. I've got his multimeter ac or dc? Ac showing 47.2. Dc showing 1.94. Or one of the other settings. Thanks
Whats the multimeter manufacturer and model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iso tech idm 61 Shame we can't email pics
OK looking at it from the front you have left to right _
off voltageAC voltageDC Resistance Diode/Beeper
switch it to voltageAC ie first click right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. Doing it across the two wires coming from the rear of the dryer it shows 47.2-47.5
OK have you got a red, black and a yellow going to the heater?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And a white which I believe connects into the red before going to the board
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to add I did buy a genuine Hoover heating element not a cheap nasty.
OK I need you to put one of the multimeter probes in where the red wire goes the other goes to the casing, close the door and switch the appliance on. Keep you fingers away from the electrics but tell me what you have on the meter display.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is with the wires connected up to the heater element
well if you have only 26 volts ac between the red cable as it connects to the heating element (usually linked with a white wire) and the casing and you have checked the continuity then you have a problem with the control module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is the circuit board at the front? Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New dryer then :). As just seen price for new board. Ps what should voltage should it be showing
Around 240
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.