Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Daniel I have a Zanussi ZNB343 fridge freezer which is not getting down to working tem

Hi Daniel
I have a Zanussi ZNB343 fridge freezer which is not getting down to working temperature there is a small amount of ice in the freezer compartment and droplets of ice on the backwall of the fridge. I recently had to defrost the freezer through a build up of ice. the doors always used to seal and were hard to open but not now. adjusting the thermostat does not lower the temperature to below 5oc
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you let me have the product code or pnc please so that I can look at the drawings please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Zanussi fridge/freezer model ZNB 343 W
No that is the model number on the same label you will have a pnc or product code. The problem with Zanussi is that they may build a number of different variations under one model number just like Ford might have a basic model, a sports model or a Ghia model all slightly different.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only information I can find is a s/a barcode on the rear with the numbers CBFF 340 and###-##-####
Thanks its the 92 number. OK does it have a fast freeze or super freeze button/switch to same me looking it up? I cant see one listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No there is no fast freeze facility
OK can you check and confirm if the motor (compressor) is hot and constantly running ie does not switch off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The motor is hot and does switch off and on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the temperature in the fridge sits at 5oc and the temp in the freezer is 10oc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thats minus 10c
OK if you put your hand on the black heat exchanger on the back is it warm when the motor is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes just warm
How far down or up depending upon version (as mentioned earlier, there are four versions of this model, all slightly different) 1 coil, 2 coils or just a little way from the compressor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There seems to be a reluctance to start the motor, I was defrosting the freezer and had temp turned down to 3 with freezer door open and after getting your message and checking the heat exchanger it was cold, so I turned up the temp and opened the fridge door hoping it would kick in but as yet it has not started
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ian I am just thinking, with a build up of ice in the freezer compartment would the defrost sensor have anything to do with this problem?
OK this is my thinking which is why I am going down this particular route of questioning. The cooling in this appliance is all in the freezer and is ducted up the back into the refrigerator being blown by a fan in the freezer. Usually if the cold source called an evaporator is frozen up then you have no cooling in the refrigerator and the temperature is in double figures. In your case the temperature in the fridge is +5C which is just in range. On the other hand the freezer is far too high. What I am trying to establish is is it high because you have a shortage of refrigerant, the motor is not working at 100 efficiency or is the internal fan not spinning. The motor will cycle on and off on its own thermal cut out independent of the thermostat which can confuse things. It also will not restart until the casing of the compressor is at a safe temperature. You point above about not being able to get the compressor to run seems to support this. So if you close the doors does the fan motor run in the freezer, I assume as you say you have defrosted the freezer and that is clear of ice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At the moment I am in the process of defrosting the freezer and there is still ice on the underside of the top, I cannot feel a fan motor running in the freezer, is it possible that it is iced up?
ps the motor is still not running
OK I assume you have the unit unplugged whilst you are defrosting it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it is still plugged in and running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correction it is plugged in but not running
Give me your telephone number preceded by a # ***** I will call you and try and talk you through this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
#01843221726