Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My Samsung American fridge freezer compressor wont start (starts very occasionally) not su

Customer Question

My Samsung American fridge freezer compressor wont start (starts very occasionally) not sure which part is faulty
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - can you give me the model number of the appliance.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi its a Samsung RSH1DTMH
OK are you near it, if so give me your phone number and I'll talk you through the self test on the machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the screen does work and i have pressed both buttons to reset the machine. I think there is another electrical problem stopping power from reaching the start relay
OK what happened when you pressed the buttons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The display turned off. No codes came up though. The fridge freezer has also had the defrosting problem kit added so its not that
OK do you get a clicking around the compressor area when its trying to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I bought a new start relay and tested the start capacitor and its not that either. I tested the compressor for resistance and that all seems to add up ok. I'm wondering if it is the PCB board
Im a Samsung trained engineer and I have never had to change a pcb on one of these however I have had to change an awful lot of compressors. If I were you I would make up a flying lead, work out which is live and neutral on the relay and connect the compressor directly up to the mains. See if the compressor runs, leave the start capacitor in place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry im no electrician just followed a few you tube tutorials so apologies, i don't know what a flying lead is? I presume it is a few wires going straight onto the relay contacts? (the capacitor sits on the back of the relay)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i know it is at the correct voltage? The Capacitor says 450v on the back of it!
That is the maximum working voltage not the operating voltage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just watched another video and it suggest testing the voltage of the wires that plug into the relay with it all switched on and the wires off. How safe is that to do? Electrics scare me! But it will tell me if i have power actually making it to the relay right? Should that be 240 volts?
Yes you can do that, probably a good idea to start but of course the problem with that is that you only have voltage there when the power is being fed to the compressor it will not tell you if the compressor is faulty or not. The problem is that it may look sound electrically with the readings being correct but that does not test the motor mechanically.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose what i was saying is if there is no power there then its probably the board? If there is power there then i should test the compressor further. What sort of power should it read? 240v at the end of the leads that go in the relay would you say?
yes anywhere between 220 - 240v will be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks one last question. I have a red and a blue wire from fridge do i connect them to my red and black wire on volt meter (i.e. red to red). Would it be ok to attach volt meter to wires then switch fridge on or do i need to switch fridge on then touch the wires? I wanted to stand back if possible! lol
Yes connect the meter up first and then switch on obviously with meter on 240 volts AC or above range
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok 2/6 times it reached 240v. 4/6 times it only reached 22v ?!
Is that normal?
No it should be constant at 240v once its starts up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** an electrical fault before it gets there then would you agree? I reckon i need to replace the PCB board next is all i can think of
Well Id be checking all the cables first the pcb is £86
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah found PCB price and my fridge has decided to work now first time in 3 weeks! It will obviously switch off again so there is a dodgy electrical wire or circuit somewhere, half of it is routed inside the fridge though so i can only look at end connections. Anyway thanks you helped me through it without killing myself. At least it's not an expensive compressor plus fitting!
No worries take care.