Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My Candy tumbler dryer keeps shutting off - it will work for

My Candy tumbler dryer keeps shutting off - it will work for a short time then it stops and the light that indicates that the water tank is full comes on but the tank has not water in it. we have removed the top fron the dryer and cleaned out any fluff that had gathered just in case it was causing the dryer to overheat (someone recommended doing this) and it did work for a little longer when we switched it on but then stopped again. We have had the dyer a while and never had any problems before.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.
Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries - could you let me have the full model number of the dryer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model Number is *****
Could you let me have the serial number please there are two versions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is all the information I have:
N3110021308343032
G002-2300W
Type TCM01
Candy Grand 8kg Condenser
Thanks will come back to you later when I have the information to hand.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea when I will get a reply I have been waiting all day, if it cant be fixed I need to get a new one ordered a.s.a.p.
Just waiting for my friend to send over the manual once he gets home from work.
OK we're good to go, I need you to do the following, start up the dryer (noting which direction of rotation) and when it stops leave it and then tell me if it restarts after a length of time (up to about 15 mins) if it does start again can you confirm that it is turning the same way as the initial direction.
Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started up the dryer and it was rotating anti clockwise, it worked for an hour then stopped we left it and when we started it again it was rotating clockwise but the dryer has an anti-crease so it keep changing rotation direction as a matter of course.
OK let me try and explain what I am trying to do here, the pcb controls the directions of rotation and as you rightly say it works in two directions but it should work for about 6 or 7 minutes in one direction and then rotate in the other direction for a shorter length of time. This direction of rotation is controlled by a relay on the pcb. If this sticks then the motor only rotates in one direction, if however the motor is faulty then it will shut down after a period of time, cool down and restart (continuing to cycle this way) My question is, if you let it run until it shuts down and leave it does it restart on its own later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes!
OK that what I wanted to know - unfortunately the motor is failing, there is a thermal cut out embedded within the motor that shuts it down if the winding start to overheat. Once the motor cools down it will allow the motor to restart. Sadly it is not replaceable, you have to replace the full motor which cost £101.63p plus vat and carriage. I would suggest that that is too much to spend on an old dryer, perhaps better to get a new replacement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You!